Cichlids are eating my clown loach algea wafers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigtay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have yellow labs,acei,bumble bee and a couple more. I just bought 2 clown loaches bout a week ago and the cichlids keep eating their wafers.I have never seen the cl's eat anything but they are always eating off of my rocks,which I see diatoms and no algae. I am worried about not seeing my clowns actually eating,has anybody experience this problem before and should I be worried?

tay, I never see my BN Pleco eating per say, I too have problems with my Peacocks eating the algea wafers. I will somtimes break one in halves and drop them in the front of the tank to draw attention and then drop a whole one or pieces toward the back where my rocks are so that they fall in creviced areas. Ive read some feed peas and cucumbers with clips at the bottoms but not sure for loaches.

I never see my pleco eat either. And my cichlids eat his wafers relentlessly I tried funneling them straight to the ground but they find them lol even when they are right next to my Pleco he doesn't seem to eat them. I continue to put them in however for when he does decide to want them. Lol he does like peas and cucumbers but so do my fish! It's a battle always! But it will work itself out

I have yellow labs,Haps,Peacocks,Plecos & 11 clown loaches. They all seem to eat everything. The C Loaches are a lot bigger now then when I got them. they really like frozen blood worms. When they feel more at home the will eat better.

I have a community tank and have some problems with the Tiger Barbs eating everything in sight before it gets to anyone else.

I put some flakes or some other floating food on one side of the tank for the Barbs and while they are going bonkers I drop wafers/pellets on the other side of the tank.

My Clown Loaches have also gotten a little more aggressive as they have gotten bigger when it comes to food. They are front and center now when the food comes out...Usually doing the up/down dance waiting for the pellet to drop(which they no longer let hit the bottom).

Last edited:
my cichlids actually fight over my pleco's algae tabs..now i have to throw in atleast two so the pleco gets one atleast. try putting in the cichlid food and while theyre busy throw in the algae tabs. itll give your loach time to find and start to eat one while the cichlids are eating their own food, but as soon as the cichlid food is gone they will go after the tabs. theres really not much else you can do about it.

Clown loaches are social fish, best kept in groups of at least 5. Given proper care and a suitable size tank they'll grow to well over 12", though very slowly.

Back
Top Bottom