Compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to put Labidochromis caeruleus and angelfish together? Four of each. I realize one species is South American and one is African. However, I don't do anything special water treatment-wise for either tank currently. I'd like to take another tank down, if possible. And also see a bit more life in these remaining ones. I'm also not sure if this would be a match as far as temperament. I don't want to lose any fish as I've had the 4 labs and 4 angels for a good while now.

I really don't see an issue, agression wise. But pH, I do. African's should really have a pH in the upper 7's and 8's while Angels like it in the 6's. If the fish are doing find at their current pH, and it is the same in both tanks, I don't see why you couldn't try it for a while. How large is the tank? The labs really need at least a 50 gal tank for swimming space.

If I were you, I would take all 8 of them out of their tanks. Then mix around the decor in the tank that you will be putting them both into. Add stuff from both tanks into the single tank. Then add them at the same time. This way they both have to adjust to new surroundings.

If you notice aggression issues, then you should seperate them. But, I'd give it a week or so to test it out.

Conventional wisdom would say, "no way!" for the reasons FF stated above. However, I have kept angels for years in pH 7.6, spawning and everything, and that is perfectly fine for most labs these days, too, which are similarly tank raised and adapted to different conditions than they would have in the wild. I think it might be doable.

Yellow labs are one of my favorite fish and of all of the ARLC species they are one of the few that I would try this with. I have a friend who keeps them in a community setup, though he gets a lot of flak about it.

Well I never got wise enough to know how to change the pH of my tap water with peat or whatever all you have to go through. And chemicals are no solution in my mind. So they've been kept as is. I haven't done any chemical tests in close to a year probably. I know the tap water in various tanks was testing 7.2-7.6 back then so I assume it's still the same since nothing has changed.

The 1 inch angels are in a 35 hex atm, and the 1-1.5 inch labs are in a 29g and have a lot of room, both with no tank mates. I'm thinking about selling some of my smaller tanks and getting 1 larger tank. I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm not heavy into the hobby atm so I have not bought any new fish in a very long time. Just sticking with what I have which means 3 out of my 7 tanks are running. To be honest, I don't find the angels horribly interesting. But maybe that's because they have no tank mates and just stare at me begging for food all day :p I adore the labs and have thought of getting more Africans. But I still love my love cardinals, rummy nose in my community tank. There's no way I could give it up my CT unless I lost my beloved loach (Botia histrionica).

I'm just trying to decide what I'd like to do. I know I for sure want 1 tank up, even if it's my tiny little 15g chrome tank. But it had some serious heat issues because of it's lights so that's not going to happen until I can figure out a way to get new lights in there and stabilize the temp. My largest tank is still a 38g and I'd like something much larger.

Gosh, I'm just thining outloud, aren't I? lol, I'll stop that. Thank you for the advice :)

If you are going with African's, you will need a 55 gal tank. Otherwise you are VERY limited on options.

Back
Top Bottom