Compatible tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I'm going to go with Africans and I don't have a set type of eel. I was just kinda wondering if one would be compatible in the tank

There is an eel native to lake tangyanika called the tangyanikan eel, but they aren't commonly available and I'm not sure how well it would work anyway. Definitely look into synodontis catfish, like featherfin

The eels from tanganyika are available in my area, at least my lfs they are NOT CHEAP! Honestly its a bit risky cichlids will try to attack or eat pretty much any tankmate the dont approve of.

Go ahead and try it, lemme know how it goes. I went what? 2-3 times I think? My Africans tore them up. One did hang in there for awhile hiding it then it's hard to feed. So if it were me, save your money and get some cool loaches. I've ha great luck with a variety of loaches and there awesome to look at. I can't remember all the names. Botia loaches all different patterns and I have a few Chinese algae eaters also. I have a few other loaches just forget the names.

If you are looking into african cichlids; clown loaches are good tankmates if the cichlids are on the small side, Just aklimate them slowly

Thanks for the advice guys! If its not advised to have an eel in a cichlid tank than I won't do it. I wouldn't want to put a eel in there if it has a chance of getting torn up. I'll definitely look into the loaches.

Clown loaches need to be in groups of at least 4 and require a large tank, probably larger than your 75 gallon unfortunately, especially when all the rock work is in place...I think the synodontis would fare much better than loaches

There are plenty of loaches you can find. One being the tiger loach. Also I do agree a syno would work well. I have one in my tank as well, I also have a African featherfin. No issues... Also have a red tailed "shark"

butterfly_koi said:
Ok well after doing some research on the loaches I came across this article. Now I know I can't believe everything I read on the web so I just wanted to post this site and see what you guys think
http://www.loaches.com/articles/why-loaches-should-not-be-kept-with-malawi-cichlids

Well it's an interesting article but I can tell you that in my 75g I have 6 Botia loaches or tiger loaches or whatever they wanna call them. I also have 2 other loaches (forgot the name) I'll contact the guy I got them from for the correct name. Also have 1 syno and 1 African featherfin. So although the article advises against it I've seen it work in many many many tanks. Of course you have to slowly acclimate them and that's another reason I have a power head that's rated for over 1,000 gph.

They also say never put pleco's with Africans. I've seen many tanks even at my fish store I go to they have them in there tanks. And it's a VERY VERY good and reputable fish store for both saltwater and freshwater. Expensive but they know what there doing and you pay for great service and a VERY knowledgable staff.

Bottom line... Every tank is different an every persons tank mates will act differently. It's taking a chance with anything, make sense? Some have eels and have no problems, others like me? Ehh... Not so much. But loaches in my tank? There all well and doing just fine.

Oh and I forgot I also have 3 Chinese algae eaters also, there all fine.

Thanks for posting the article, I did find it interesting :)

Convict2161 said:
Bottom line... Every tank is different an every persons tank mates will act differently. It's taking a chance with anything, make sense? Some have eels and have no problems, others like me? Ehh... Not so much. But loaches in my tank? There all well and doing just fine.

Oh and I forgot I also have 3 Chinese algae eaters also, there all fine.

Thanks for posting the article, I did find it interesting :)

I agree that every tank is different, I just kinda wanted opinions on the article to see if there was any truth to it. I'm still definitely looking into the loaches, I've kinda dismissed the eel idea it could be a waste of money and I would feel bad if they got ripped apart.

butterfly_koi said:
I agree that every tank is different, I just kinda wanted opinions on the article to see if there was any truth to it. I'm still definitely looking into the loaches, I've kinda dismissed the eel idea it could be a waste of money and I would feel bad if they got ripped apart.

Plus feeding the eel can be difficult. You have to target feed it for the most part. And it hides all the time. I never saw mine until it was floating or stuck to the filter. The loaches? There all over the bottom oft tank cleaning all the left over food. I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them. They really are cool to watch. The Botias stay together for the most part. Some have yellow spots others have stripes and they just chill all around the bottom.

I've kept a fire eel in different set ups with Africans and with south Americans and never had any problems with the cichlids only the one pleco would occasionally bump elbos with him in a little friendly competition over whose turn it was to poke their head out of the Terra cotta planter cave I had fashioned but everyone got along

butterfly_koi said:
I know you've told me before what they are but which one is which?

First one I forget. I'll get the name from the guy I deal with. The small guys are different types of Botia loaches. The other 2 that look similar are Chinese algae eaters. The first guy is getting big. There's another one in there it's a lot smaller. I'll try and get some shots of the featherfin and Synodontis they hide do the most part and only come out at night but I'll try.

So that's pic 3 and 5 are Chinese algae eaters.

Pic 2,4 and 6 are Botia loaches. The first one I forget.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom