convict cichlid tank mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellylake01

Aquarium Advice Regular
a buddy of mine has a 55g with 2 convict cichlids and is wondering if he can add some more verity in his tank, i talked him out of an oscar (very hard to do btw) after i explained they were big poopers but im having problems giving him any names

Bristlenose Pleco,rubber lip Pleco, I would stay away from common plecos they get huge,maybe a pair of fire mouths...

I hate to tell ya what a friend of mine has in his convict tank. 75 gallon. He has 5 convicts, 4 red eye tetras, 9 tiger barbs, rubber nose and bristlenose plecos, 2 JD's and a pair of FM's. And they all get along and it's been up for over a year!!

Not saying this is right just stating a fact. He has this tank and has had no problems. You would think he would!

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
Bristlenose Pleco,rubber lip Pleco, I would stay away from common plecos they get huge,maybe a pair of fire mouths...

I hate to tell ya what a friend of mine has in his convict tank. 75 gallon. He has 5 convicts, 4 red eye tetras, 9 tiger barbs, rubber nose and bristlenose plecos, 2 JD's and a pair of FM's. And they all get along and it's been up for over a year!!

Not saying this is right just stating a fact. He has this tank and has had no problems. You would think he would!

All fish are different like my blood parrot is cool with even guppys but my jack dempseys are crazy on the other hand. JD ate mr.guppy. :( rip milo

Plecos-BristleNose, SnowFlake, Striped, Golden Nugget, Rubberlip, Pitbull or otherwise.
Schooling Fish-Tiger Barbs, Buenos Aires Tetras, Serpae Tetras, Black Widow Tetras, anything semi-aggressive and known to be nippy.
Other Cichlids-Firemouth, perhaps a JD.

Not all these fish though. Depends on what you want.

Back
Top Bottom