convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalzrok2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
can convicts live in a 20g long or is that to small... feel like it is but not 100% positive

Some people recommend a 29G high so maybe a 20G long is ok but I'm not too sure. I would see other opinions on this.

How many? But I wouldn't put them in a 20 gallon. I'd go as big as you can. A 55 would be nice and allow for a nice setup. They become very aggressive during mating. An they are very territorial.

The smallest I ever kept convicts was a 36 bow front then upgraded to a 55. IMO a nice tank for a few convicts is a 40 gallon breeder with some nice hiding spots. Also remember they will rearrange your tank for you do keep it simple and fake plants I your gonna go that route. Over filtration is always a great idea. I had a 2x over filter and a air stone. Some driftwood and few caves and little nooks for them. They still fought eachother and had major lip locking episodes.

Last edited:
if you get a male and female and they pair your going to have baby convicts that your not going to know what to do with...trust me...these cichlids breed like crazy...once they start they aren't going to stop...if you don't have anybody to give the babys to then don't get a male and a female lol...I know what I'm talking about...you can keep two in your tank size...make sure they are the same size because they tend to be more aggresive with there own kind then other fish...have a lot of nooks and crannys at the bottom of the tank...don't even bother with real or fake plants...there just going to uproot them...don't over crowd the middle or top area of the tank...there very active...hope this info works

if you want a fish like the convicts but there fry are worth some thing i would go with Honduran red points

Back
Top Bottom