Discuss your Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, let's see how many members keep cichlids. Post all of your cichlids here and provide the following information about them:

~Species
~How long you've had them
~Where/how they were obtained
~Successful spawnings

well in the hope this isn't just a plug to see who will use this forum...
always kept a fish tank since i was a kid, but currently.... the past 8 mnths, rift lake cichlids, a 100 gal overstocked (for some, not for me)malawi + a few harmless odds from lakes nearby, motivation into these was our local cichlid society, and a few posts on AA had me pretty much hooked.

currently breeding, m.cyaneorhabdos bigtime,
A. latifasciata have held... but the new mums have swallowed, older mums I gave away...(damnit)
have growng colonies of acei msuli
afra cobue,
yellow labs,
dimi comps,
started on south americans and australian natives(non cichlid)
had 2 pair of oscars, 1 pair blood red, 1 pair, male pure bronze, female bronze tiger
oscars are now breeding vividly in the 120gal i sold to a mate, suprisingly enough both pairs breeding in the same tank,(again...damnit)
had a pair of GT's breeding wildly in a 20gal..(gave away again....double damnit 4 successfull spawns in the last 4 months)

south americans were all sourced from fish shops and pretty much luck of the draw with the pairs barr the gts, which were bought for a carton of beer/more or less free to a good home....
all my rift lake cichlids have been bought from western australias top breeders, some have been sourced from all over the country for a desirable and reliable strain/generation.
As much as i'd love to, I cannot dispose of names freely....

somehow i've managed to cut back down to one 100gal tank for now...much to my partners dismay plans are on the board for a 250+gallon for all my colonies in one.....

Many thanks to AA and most importantly it's members for all the help in getting me where i am today..

so whos up next?

thanks,

Matt.

I've keyhole cichlids, bolivian rams, checkerboard, and firemouth cichlids.

I've had everything except the firemouths for about three months, and the firemouths for about two/three weeks. As of yet, no spawning, but I think that I have all males for each species.

I have an extra 30G that I might try to put some of the smaller and docile africans in.

I have a pair of breeding convicts in a 20 gallon long.

Had them for about 3 weeks now and have had fry for 2 weeks now. The fry will be food for my Senegal Birchirs and Spotted Climbing Perch.

Bought them at PetSmart.

Jchillin said:
So, let's see how many members keep cichlids. Post all of your cichlids here and provide the following information about them:

~Species
~How long you've had them
~Where/how they were obtained
~Successful spawnings
Pair of Angels
-2+ years
-LFS (Aquatic Pets) in Northfield, MN
-My fingers are crossed

Bolivian Ram
-~1.5 years
-Same as Angels
-She would need a boyfiend for that :wink:

Convicts
-1 year
-Petco :oops:
-yes, 5 times now..... :?

Ok this is going to be a long post... :lol:

Angelfish, 18 months, local lfs, both males no spawning.

Baby angelfish, local breeder, 2 months.

GBR's 4 months, local breeder,2 spawns, neither successful yet.

Discus 5 months, local breeder, still juvies, no spawns.

Electric yellows, local breeder, 1 year, 4 successful spawns.

OB hybrid peacocks, Petcetera, no longer have them but 3 successful spawns.

All of these others have had no spawns yet, some due to there is only one of the species. All have been with me between 9-12 months.

Metriaclima greshakei, local lfs. Aulonocara steveni, Aulonocara Rubenescens, Aulonocara mbenji, Aulonocara bi-color 500's, Aulonocara lwanda, Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri", Gold's Aquariums, Calgary. Blue dolphin Haps, Petcetera. Haplochromis sp.44 "Red Tail", PetsMart. Mbuna OB hybrid, local lfs.

DeFekt said:
well in the hope this isn't just a plug to see who will use this forum...

Not at all, this is quite serious. I wouldn't waste anyone's time with useless drivel. :D

As for me:

1. Three marble Angels (were originally four), purchased from PetLand Discounts. 15 months. I thought I had a pair but after close observation, I have three females. Each female goes through "spawning" at least every two weeks.

2. Four German Blue Rams. Purchased from Fishtown, USA. They made a year last month. I have reason to believe all are males as none have exhibitied any spawning behavior.

3. Five Bolivian Rams. Purchased from local breeder at Aquarium Club Auction as fry about 8 months ago. Still waiting for the obvious female in the group to pick a mate. So far zilch.

I have 4 angels. I have had swimmers once and I am getting prepared to be able to grow out the next bunch. I have had them 15 months.

my cichlids
3 aulonocara stuargranti blue neon.1m 2 f (i think only had them 1 day but its seems like that.)
3 yellow labs. 1f 2 m purchased about 2 weeks ago. (not exacly sure as they are still young.)got yellow labs from pjs pets and a.blue neon from big als.
so far al is good in tank and my yellow labs are trying to breed.

GBR's, 1 unsuccessful spawning. 2 GBR's had about 7 months, and 2 babies almost 3 months. And it's the baby female that spawned. Bought at LFS.

Bolivian Rams. Had over 1 year. 7 Spawns, no success. Had fry on the first try, other fish were just too many in numbers. Bought at LFS.

1 single solitary yellow lab.

Was in a 30g tank with 5 other labs, then after 8 months decided to claim the whole tank and kill off the others from the weakest up. It has been solo, in a 10g, for 2 years now.

Bought from Rick's pets, a good lfs.

If the fish successfully spawned it would be a miracle, so no.

(bunch of tanks)

SPECIES:
Crytocara moorii, nimbochromis venustus, dimidiochromis compressiceps, cyphotilapia frontosa (burundi, kigoma), metriaclima estherae, metriaclima callainos, metriaclima sp. BB zebra 'chilumba', pseudotropheus sp. acei, pseudotropheus socolofi, pseudotropheus demasoni, labidochromis caeruleus, labidochromis sp. mbamba, metriaclima sp. msobo

TIME IN TANKS:
0-14 months

ORGIN:
Breeder, LFS, and born in my tanks

SPAWNINGS: (24)
Acei (5 spawnings)
Demasoni (5 spawnings)
Socolofi (5 spawnings +1 currently holding)
Red Zebra (5 spawnings +1 currently holding)
Yellow Labs (3 spawnings)
BB zebra 'chilumba' (1 spawning)

Oh wow, I hope there is not a character max in this text box.

Right now I have a 29 gal tank with Cobalt fry (approximately 25) growing out for resale. There are also approximately 15 Peacock fry amongst the 29 gal and 10 gal tank growing out. I also have 4 Kenyi fry that I can't get out of the 150 gal tank.

The Cobalts were born between August and April, the peacocks between November and April and the Kenyi's were born a few months ago. It's hard to be exact with the Kenyi's since they just appeared in the tank one day.

In the 150 gal tank I have: 4 Pseudotropheus Acei, 6 Labidochromis Caeruleus, 2 Maylandia callainos, 2 Maylandia Estherae, 1 Pseudotropheus Daktari, 2 Pseudotropheus Socolofi Albino, 2 Sciaenochromis Fryeri "Iceberg", 2 Nimbochromis Livingstoni, 2 Aulonocara OB Peacock, 1 Maylandia Greshakei, 1 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi "Eureka", 3 Pseudotropheus Lombardoi, and 1 Pseudotropheus Acei Tanzanian Black.

The 150 gal cichlids have been acquired over the past year and a half. Most have been purchased from a Malawi specific lfs in St. Louis. It was well worth the 3 hour drive (each way). A few of them were purchased from a lfs but we tend not to purchase from them anymore. They generally only carry small juvi's.

So far we have successfully spawned the Kenyi's (three times), Cobalts (six times), and Peacocks (five times). A Kenyi and Peacock are currently holding in QT with another batch. The mothers are still small so not too many of the fry have survived.

I also have 4 Angels in the 55 gal Community tank. 1 Blushing, 2 Altum, and 1 Pearlscale. They have only been in that tank for about 3 or 4 months now.

My Eartheater cichlids:
2 Satanoperca daemon - almost 5 months ago - LFS
A Geophagus sp. [not sure of the species] (he died in my 55g disaster) - LFS
2 Satanoperca jurupari - almost 4 months - LFS
A Geophagus brasiliensis - 3.5 months - PetLand

The others:
3 convicts - 2-3 months - Petco
A Vieja cichlid (gave him to a friend) - 2.5 months - PetLand
1 gold & 2 green Severums - 2.5 months - 2 from LFS, 1 from PetsMart
2 festivums (Mesonauta festivus) - one 2.5 months, the other 2 weeks - LFS
A chocolate cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) - 2 days ago - LFS

No spawnings as of yet. I'm betting the convicts will once they get a little bigger.

Check out this site, it has pics of most of these cichlids: http://www.raubwelse.de/galerie/cichliden/cichliden.htm

Pair of keyhole cichlids (laetacara maroni)
Have them for 2 years now
Got them from my lfs (my first fish!)
They spawn on a regular basis, but do not succeed at raising the fry themselves, so I raised one batch myself. See post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53273

Pair of laetacara dorsigera (red-breasted cichlids)
Have them for 5 months
Got them from my great lfs
No breeding activity yet.

Neolamprologus gracilis, started w/2m/2f juvies. Lost 1 male, currently have 70+ fry, traded off 13 juvies a couple months ago. Got them from Alloddballaquatics ~2 years ago.
Lamprologus multifasciatus, 1m/2f, had 3f, lost one, now have 7+ (can't really count them accurately) fry. Same source, several months.
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis "blue neon", 2m/6f, 1 fry. Originally got 4 from a friend in NJ, was expecting 1m/3f, turned out the opposite. Lost 1 m to a red-tail botia, then traded off 13 juvie gracilis for 5 more f from a breeder in VA, sevral months ago.
Julidiochromis marlieri "Gombe", 2m/1f remaining out of 4, then another 7, from 2 different sources, 1 fry. First 4 came from Alloddballaquatics, lost 3, survivor resident about 2 years. Got 7 juvies on aquabid, lost most to aggression issues in a 29 when they started spawning. No fry survived, moved the last 2 of those to a 55 community with the single survivor from the previous 4. Now have a spawning pair, w/1 odd male, 1 fry that survived the community tank long enough to grow past easily edible size.
Labidochromis careuleus, 2m/1f. from lfs, 2 survivng fry. Residents for 1-2 years, traded several back, trying to get females, ended up with 1.
Have previously kept and successfully (a little too successfully actually) Cichalasoma (Not certain what the genus has been reclassified as now) nicaraguense, had 2 pairs, several hundred fry. After finding that so many fry were more trouble than they were worth, I switched to Africans, and quit saving all the fry.

Back
Top Bottom