dither fish for oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dither? As in feeder?? Tetras, I have heard work well, as do Guppies, BUT I would be very cautious as some of those may carry disease. I would be really wary of doing that unless you raise your own, and only feed them the fish very rarely. Not really any nutrients in feeder fish. I prefer to give my Oscar earthworms, shrimp, and frozen treat cubes as treats, and Hikari Gold pellets as the main course. ;)

Dither? As in feeder?? Tetras, I have heard work well, as do Guppies, BUT I would be very cautious as some of those may carry disease. I would be really wary of doing that unless you raise your own, and only feed them the fish very rarely. Not really any nutrients in feeder fish. I prefer to give my Oscar earthworms, shrimp, and frozen treat cubes as treats, and Hikari Gold pellets as the main course. ;)

A dither fish is a non aggressive fish that helps make shy fish comfortable so that they don't hide all the time.

Ohhh dithers aren't feeders? I'm confused. :huh: What are dithers? :ermm:

A dither fish is a non aggressive fish that helps make shy fish comfortable so that they don't hide all the time.

Ohhhhh... :lol: Gotcha. Never heard of that before. Maybe they just need time to become used to their surroundings? My Oscar was only shy for about 2 hours. :lol:

jetajockey said:

I'm using mine to redirect aggression. Guess that's more of a "Target" fish.

Oh that's right, I've heard of them being used for that also, kinda like getting them to team up on a common enemy or something. I don't know, I've never resorted to using a fish as a target, I just move them if they are too aggressive with one another.

Good luck! Have you considered a mesh separator instead? Give them some time to get use to one another in a safe environment?

Jenn27 said:
Good luck! Have you considered a mesh separator instead? Give them some time to get use to one another in a safe environment?

Mbunas are aggressive by nature so it probably will never stop. I'm understocked with fish right now that is why I am having aggression issues, as soon as I get more mbunas the neons will be moving to a 40g I am getting ready to set up :)

I only want dither fish cuz I want a little more action in the tank with our adding any more aggression. I have 1 oscar and 1 jack dempsey

60 gallons. I'm going to upgrade to a 150 when I move in 3 months, I just don't want to set up a new tank and move it. the Oscar is about 5 inches and the jack Dempsey 3 and a half

Mbunas are aggressive by nature so it probably will never stop. I'm understocked with fish right now that is why I am having aggression issues, as soon as I get more mbunas the neons will be moving to a 40g I am getting ready to set up :)

Oh ok. :) I have never had mbunas. Sounds like you have it under control. ;) :cool:

I tried Buenos aires tetras as dithers with my Oscar, but it didn't work out very well. He ate all 12 of them over the course of two weeks. With that being said, buenos aired tetras are supposed to be good dithers for oscars. They just didn't work for me.

60 gallons. I'm going to upgrade to a 150 when I move in 3 months, I just don't want to set up a new tank and move it. the Oscar is about 5 inches and the jack Dempsey 3 and a half

I prefer Congo tetras for dithers but due to the cost rarely due I pull the triggers(especially with my group), but 5X5 is correct with BA tetras. Giant danios and Red Hook Silver Dollars work well too.

I tried Buenos aires tetras as dithers with my Oscar, but it didn't work out very well. He ate all 12 of them over the course of two weeks. With that being said, buenos aired tetras are supposed to be good dithers for oscars. They just didn't work for me.

Maybe our dithers thought they were feeders!

I use leporunus in my tank with large cichlids, some people might have bad experiences with them as far as aggression but they are great with my cichlids , they are an amazing fish that will also clean up after a Oscar.

HUKIT said:
I prefer Congo tetras for dithers but due to the cost rarely due I pull the triggers(especially with my group), but 5X5 is correct with BA tetras. Giant danios and Red Hook Silver Dollars work well too.

Maybe our dithers thought they were feeders!

I'd yet to try giant danios as dithers. They are easy enough to come by and cheap. Although I think they tend to be top swimmers, which might be a little boring and not fill out the tank. They also don't have the nice color of congos and BA's.

I always recommend giant danios, but with oscars and other large cichlids like them any "target/dither" will end up small enough to be lunch.

The danios are super super fast and school really good. I have had 20 in my 75 with a Trimac for over 10 months. And 10 in my 55 with a RD for about 3 months. And not one death yet due to being ate. I did have 2 jump from my 55 since its open top. But they been replaced.

Back
Top Bottom