Does aggression from new additions subside over time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daven

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys. I know, its impossible to say because it depends on the individual fish involved. But, generally speaking, should my existing fish become more tolerant of the new ones i added? And at what point do you guys say enough is enough and remove a fish? This time when adding new fish, they have both been having a very tough go it seems since they both are targetted almost as soon as they are seen. I redid the entire tank decor before adding. Please bare with me since i tend to explain a little too much sometimes and the post becomes longer...

The rusty male i added is simular in size to my larger blueberry cobalt male, vs the other fish being a good deal smaller. When the blueberry sees rusty he almost always chases him across the tank until rusty gets away, and im afraid it wont stop. Other fish couldnt care less. No real damage yet, but rusty's tail is starting to get tattered a bit. Blueberry was pretty good with the rest so im not entirely sure why he picked rusty, maybe hes too subdominant of a fish to stick up for himself. The other fish i added was a rainbow shark, so i know its hit or miss for working. But the little yellow labs seem to start nipping and chasing him when they spot him, and once he gets running the entire tank sees him and joins in for the hunt. Im worried he wont ever fight back. Although i just added him, so maybe the difference in water chemistry gave him a rough start :/ This one came straight from the fish store to here where i only floated the bag instead of the drip acclimation i should have :/

Pevious stock:
-1x male blueberry cobalt zebra (around 3")
-3x metraclima greshaki (2" or so) 1 male and a female for sure, unsure of other
-4x acei (2") unsure of sexes for sure
-5x yellow labs (1.5-2") 1 male and 3 females for sure, last could have gone either way when vented

New additions:
-1x male rusty (2.75" i beleive)
-1x rainbow shark (i think 2" in length, but alot more slender in comparison with the mbuna)

75 gallon tank

Main thing im worried about is the "shark". Whenever he ventures out from hiding, he gets seen and chased around by everyone until he ends up back in the top corner freaked out. Would you guys leave him in there, or maybe pull him into his own tank for a while or something? Idk why they go so hard for him, its like they KNOW hes not a fellow mbuna and wont tolerate it. Maybe if this is to work id need a bigger one to put up a fight :/ beautiful fish though

Just an over all pic to just get an idea of what the setup is like. Also yeah I wouldn't have a rainbow shark in with cichlids but that's just me.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With cichlids you could have a big Bala shark in there for instance and the cichlids would still pick at it.

Here's a quick pic of the tank now. Gotta let the inevitable algae blend it all together again lol rocks are hollow with holes as well as the fake wood thing. And I know generally nothing works well with mbuna. I looked into these sharks for quite and while and it seemed a decent chance of working out. A lot of the bad stories were about the shark actually being the aggressor lol but it's all in the individual fish so that's why I'm worried. I wasn't expecting the target to be painted on this ones chest lol I've always liked these fish but never had a tank big enough. So I wanted to try and make one work, and also get some red into the tank as well :/ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442642550.944906.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok well unfortunately the shark thing isn't an issues anymore. I found him wrapped around the inlet of my AC110 :/ but for my rusty and for future reference, does the aggression against new fish subside over time as the others get used to seeing them? I get that it's a new fish and they need to act and big and macho lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

In some cases if they aren't relentless, they should establish a pecking order, I know someone with a 2.5 foot arowana that is with a few koi ranging from 5 inch to 9

Of course they were all raised in the tank which I think is the best bet.

Ok i figure it should settle once they get used to seeing eachother. There is alot of chasing, but no damage seen yet that i can tell. And after getting away, rusty is always out and swimming normal again. Very hungry for food and doesnt seem to be afraid of the group lol Ill monitor him well and wait to see some actual damage or reclusiveness before taking any action. This must be the downside to having one of a particular species in with the rest.

Also on a quick side note, what would you guys say about the new arrangment? Having issues filling the top 3/4 of the tank, but would you say this should be ok for territories and losing line of sight in chases? the back decor is also arranges so they can swim behind in places and whatnot

Hey guys, i just wanted to update the thread with how it worked out. Previously my rusty was being targetted heavily by my blueberry zebra. After a few days it seemed to calm down where rusty could come out and be around for a while, and eventually blueberry would chase him away again. The aggresion got better over time and eventually we get to now where they are all out and swiming around eachother unbothered. This was over a week. So im glad to see it wasnt a permanent issue.

Now, the shark i added before obviously didnt do well. But i doubt how well he was from the begining as he spent his time hiding before and when the mbuna first went after him he bolted away causing the rest to target him. I managed to find another rainbow, this time it was slightly larger than my biggest mbuna. And he was from a private owner downsizing his tanks. I also acclimated him alot more, blending in my own water every 15 minutes and in total i spent 2 hours with him sitting in the tank water in the container until i was sure he wasnt "breathing" heavy or anything. When i added him, he calmly started looking around the tank and when another fish kind of nudged at him he nudged back and started pushing my other fish off a bit. So since then he has been doing great since adding him last night. So this one made a much better first impression and i am very happy with the results from both issues. Hopefully things remain good.

PICTURES!

Attachments

• 12033384_10205923686144520_852238745_n.jpg
    12033384_10205923686144520_852238745_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 12033852_10205923685184496_1228166239_n.jpg
    12033852_10205923685184496_1228166239_n.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 12047691_10205923686064518_1807716880_n.jpg
    12047691_10205923686064518_1807716880_n.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 53
Well, its a strong positive note, which means there is hope for the future. I would imagine it should have a good shot to work out fine.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Back
Top Bottom