Dwarf Cichlids!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where did you get your rams fwmom

I live on an island in the middle of the sea... Oahu. We obviously have great limitations on FW stock. I have confidence that their fish are well cared for, quarantined before sale and healthy. As for breeding sources, I have no idea.

In low quality rams (No offense fwmom, this is why I asked where you got them from. I would recommend not buying from there again) colors are the worst way to sex. Also black on the fins is not a way to tell sex. The "male" doesn't have a bright belly like the female does. Also his black dot has no sparkles in it, females does. Third he has the very pronounced dorsal spike and his fins scream male. Finnage is the best way to sex. Even after looking at the pictures multiple times still think they are male and female.

Although my photos are not the best, both fish do have distinct pink/purple bellies. That is what's throwing me. As for fins, the dorsals are close to the same size, the pelvic fins both have black, but the supposed male's are longer/thinner. They seem to be equally well colored today and are behaving cordially. The skittish one is getting more brave and just passing or getting out of the way instead of dashing off to hide. I will just wait it out and see if they change colors or pair off as they get older.

Mahalo (thank you) for your information!

In low quality rams the dot is worse way to tell. This is the case even in high quality rams (not wild caught).

And tbh I was only looking at the last 2 pictures (which were the same fish lol) and didnt realize there was one above it. And looking at it I still think it could be a female. But male is a possibility too.

The only way to tell is to tube em! ( can u tube dwarfs?)

Aloha! I think I've read almost every english version of gender determination online and the few available on youtube, and unless there is a pink/purple color morph in males, I'm inclined to agree they are both female. My eternal optimism is pushing for one male (and a compatible pairing) only because it would be less complicated. Secondly, if they are both female, hope they can coexist peacefully.

On the tube thing, I ain't gonna touch that one!

Mahalo!

Well you obviously have a better view of the fish. From pictures I'd say male female, but with what you are saying as well especially with the dorsal spike and finnagebif you believe you have females your probably correct.

My gold was in rare form today flaring all over the place, even stopped for some pics!

Attachments

• image-2764330223.jpg
    image-2764330223.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 58
  • image-1727911371.jpg
    image-1727911371.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2127811911.jpg
    image-2127811911.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 62
Oh at the fish store there were some "German bubble gold diamond rams". They look similar to electric blues exept a lighter blue. Ever heard of then?

Apistogramma agassizi? I know they're common but you could get some rarer colour morphs

Btw glad things are going well, and on my side, I HAVE EGGS!!!!!!! Haha my gold was acting strange by my driftwood so I investigated and there they were!!!!

Back
Top Bottom