Electric blue jack dempsey tank mates ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin144

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a 100 gallon tank with only a 10 inch fire eel in it and I'm looking for a larger top swimming fish for a tankmate. I was wondering would an electric blue jack dempsey work ? And if so what else could I do for tank mates ? If the jack will work can Somone give me some advice on them ??? And if I still have room I was looking at also adding a blood parrot or two

The fire eel will need a bigger tank. Instead of a jack Dempsey, I would get a few African butterfly fish

well one thing for sure, jack dempseys are sometimes aggressive but if given its spave and care it should be peaceful with other fish. i would probably get a green terror also and a pair of parrots will do fine but just get them big enough not to get eaten by the eel and young enough to grow up together. i have a these mixed in a 55 with one of each since 2010 they are all fine and healthy

Electric blue jack Dempsey's are the most peaceful of jack Dempsey's..they're also a little harder to care for..I would put him in there they are a great investment..

Ok so the ebjd and the parrots would work . Are these fish shy ? Or will they be that in your face too of the tank fish ?

I think you'll have plenty of space..if you can find a good deal I would buy multiple EBJD chances are you'll lose a few..but I would definitely dose the tank with bacteria a few days before adding the fish then add them all at once to keep the aggression down. But they are all pretty peaceful aggressive fish lol

I have about 8 5-6" Africans 5 2-3" Africans a pair of convicts a synodonis cat and pleco in my 60g tank..so you can fully stock a cichlid tank with no problems..do you plan to grown them out full size?

All the jack dempseys I'v ever had were very aggressive towards tank mates, even to their own kind. They eventually killed each other off and now only one left.

EBJDs aren't as aggressive as the regulars though..and they're quite impressive to look at..this is one of my EB's at about an inhch

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131015_212630.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131015_212630.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 332
Are you saying that they can be a fragile fish ?? I'm running two fluval 405s on the tank so I know I have plenty of filtration ? And what do you mean dose it with bacteria ?

Yes for some reason EBJD are fragile fish..because they are actually a mutation..and for some reason they're not as hardy as some..

Back
Top Bottom