Firemouth fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayce09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm brand new to this site and fairly new to keeping a freshwater aquarium. It's been awhile. It's only a 15 gallon tank and have 4 firemouth cichlids, a plecostomus, a catfish of some sort, and a African dwarf frog. It's been up and running for only about a month and a half. My cichlids just had a fry of maybe about 40-50 babies. Can anyone give me any tips to caring for these guys better?

I'm brand new to this site and fairly new to keeping a freshwater aquarium. It's been awhile. It's only a 15 gallon tank and have 4 firemouth cichlids, a plecostomus, a catfish of some sort, and a African dwarf frog. It's been up and running for only about a month and a half. My cichlids just had a fry of maybe about 40-50 babies. Can anyone give me any tips to caring for these guys better?

Well to start your tank is incredibly too small for your stock lol I'm pretty sure fire mouths get to about 6 inches long and a pleco is the deal breaker. In regards to the babies, you should remove them to a quarantine tank to raise them. Or keep them in your 15 and get a bigger tank for the rest of your fish lol

Well I wasn't counting on them breeding. I'm going to give them away when they get bigger. Why is the plecostomus a deal breaker?

I wouldn't house a pleco in something less than a 20 even if it is something like a bristle nose, bulldog, rio negro, clown, or small plecos like that

They're doing just fine in there right now but they're all very young. The biggest being maybe an inch and a half or maybe two inches long. The plecostomus is pretty tiny too. I do plan on getting a bigger tank. For now though, is there any special care these fry need?

Hi ayce :} If you have really good quality food for your fish, you can crush it up for your fry. I also gave mine frozen baby brine shrimp. Feed a few times daily and make sure you don't overfeed. Regular water changes will keep them growing. Good luck with them :)

Back
Top Bottom