Frontosa stripped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I have a colony of Burundi frontosa, and have yet to have a successful hold. dispite leaving them be, and also separating them to a holding tank. Either way the hold has never gone past five days. I must point out that the chap who had these before me, I believed stripped them. I was hoping to let nature do its work, but alas I failed.

So today when I noticed my larger female holding against my urges to leave her be, I decided to strip her. An experience neither of us enjoyed.

I now have the eggs tumbling, and I left some in her mouth just incase( not expecting much tho). Having never stripped a fish nor tumbled I'm not really sure of the signs that the eggs are bad or infertile, or will this be obvious??? Please if you have any knowledge of this can you help. I have searched the Internet, but can't find information on bad or infertile eggs. Just pictures of successful tumbles.

Many thanks
Dan

I know what you mean about stripping as well.I've done it 5 times and I don't enjoy it one little bit and I'm **** sure the fish certainly don't enjoy it!!!

Thanks garfy,

Its hard to find good info, I should probably buy a good book on the subject, instead of relying on Internet!!! Lol

Thing is what I've seen on the net , pics of development, videos of tumbling, threads and articles, YouTube videos all the eggs seem an off white ? One video that had three tumblers featured fry of different ages and some eggs again an off white. So I can only assume this is a good colour????

I was really worried when I read your reply last night as the eggs she spat where quite white!!!! So thought maybe they were no good to start with and I may have a dud male or spawning was not successful or something?

I'm not sure how long she's been holding as I have been busy the last few days so haven't had much time to observe, I would guess max 3 days.
Anyway looking at the eggs this morning they do seem more of a greyish off white, they don't look like they have fungus. I even watched for what seemed like hours trying to figure out if they are any good. Only a few even looks like they have a minuet see through worm on top , but it's very hard to tell with them tumbling, and it could just me being hopeful. Lol

So anyway my fingers are tightly crossed, and I guess I'll have a better idea I a few days.

IME white eggs aren't fertilized. They've always been an off white/tannish color.
I hope it works out for ya....good luck!

They are defiantly an off white tanish colour, but they where white in sure when I first stripped but think I stripped a bit early.

As long as I get one fry I'll be happy. Want to make sure they are doing everything right, and that my male is fertile before I make any changes.

Ukdans1k said:
They are defiantly an off white tanish colour, but they where white in sure when I first stripped but think I stripped a bit early.

As long as I get one fry I'll be happy. Want to make sure they are doing everything right, and that my male is fertile before I make any changes.

Any updates? I'm cheering for you!!!

Unfortunately this time I was unsuccessful! :-(
I made my own tumbler and think I did something wrong. Looking into buying a profession tumbler, but can't find any for sale here in the UK. If anyone can get hold of a non home made tumbler. And is able to post to me, let me know as I can send money via PayPal.

Back
Top Bottom