help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bg-mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
My lab is doing alot of shaking and his back fin is doing like a spasm I've had him for about 4 mount now he's my tank boss I did a add water and added algae control and a filter change ..don't won't him to die..any advice will help

Also gave him some new food.some small pellets.for.the first time

He's staying in the back of.the rocks I hope that's what it is.dont no.

When you say filter change, do you mean that you took all your filter media out?! You may have gone into a mini cycle?

I did change the filters out but didn't do a water change or cleaning don't have a canister I have a hang on the back.I was told just not to do water change and filter change at the same time..

It kinda looks like the video but he's by him self

Your filter media is where all the beneficial bacteria (BB) is, not the water. I am yet to change out ANY of my filter media in either my canister or HOB because you destroy your colony of BB that was produced through cycling. Do you test your water? If so, what are you're parameters (pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?) and temp? What is the stock list and tank size?

Took the water.in to test they said it was good I take it to get tested at Petsmart but the water.was turning green so I though I'd change the filters they said to do it once a month and my tank is a 55g tall one male lab and 3 females and like 3 others water is kinda cold need to get a heater I order it on Ebay just wating 4 it to come in water as like 72.

NEVER change your filter media unless it is completely falling apart. Petsmart told you to toss them so they can sell you more filter media, but it is DANGEROUS for your fish. As mentioned earlier, the bacteria live on the filter media and you NEED them. What you should do is when you do a water change, keep some tank water in a bucket. Remove the filter media and rinse it in the bucket of tank water, don't rinse it in the sink or the bacteria will be killed by the chemicals. use the same media for as long as it holds up.

FWIW, I almost always rinsed my filter media in tap water, and on HOB's often just replaced the whole cartridge.

Sounds like your lab is in baby-making-mode.

My fish had babes didn't even no I only see two small fish but the mama is only an inch long..they'll probably get eaten I think.hope not but I can't take the fish out hope only one lives.

Back
Top Bottom