Helping the little guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillipC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I just started a 55g cichlid tank and I have 15 juvenile cichlids in the tank right now. About 4 yellow lab cichlids are undersized (about half the size of my kenyi's) and can barely compete for any food. I was wondering if I should put the undersized cichlids in a breeder net until they get a little bit bigger and feed them from there

Thanks!

what kind of food are you feeding? I would feed them some veggie flakes it might be easier for them to get to

I'm guessing this isn't an option, but if you have a spare tank, grow the labs out in that and feed them 3 times a day, feed the others only once or twice a day. When they get up to size put them back in the 55. Also, I wouldn't put then in the breeder net cause they need some room to swim. Lastly I would think that if you feed them and the others get full, the labs would be able to eat, so try larger portion for the tank as a whole.
~Zac

Thanks guys, so I guess the breeder idea is a no go. I use NLS .5mm pellets. It kind of works if I throw some food at the top to distract the big fish and then grab some pellets and dunk it near the labs.

I would try to make due until (if) you are able to purchase and set up another tank.
~Zac

Back
Top Bottom