Horomones or dye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have noticed one of my lfs is doing something to their fish when you get them home they lose their color in two weeks and are unable to reproduce. Is it possible this place is juicing their fish?

Attachments

• new new new new 014.jpg
    new new new new 014.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 79
  • sonic 002.jpg
    sonic 002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 82
It's generally not the LFS store using hormones but the breeder who supply's the store, fully colored fish demand a much higher price tag so where there is a demand someone will find a fraudulent way to supply. The peacock in your other thread is perfect example of a hormone dosed fish. I would make the store aware of the issue giving them the benefit of the doubt, but if they're aware of the practice I'd be taking my business elsewhere.

Just because they are hormones based fish doesn't mean they will necessarily be sterile either, while there is a chance it's a not given in my experience.

Last edited:
which peacock in what thread? I already traded the false german red to a fish store because it was brown in two weeks. I was devistated it was supposed to be my center peice. I only buy from one place now that I trust.

no that fish was discount I got from a reputable local breeder as a gift. the other one was juiced. the one a few moths ago i could not identify. I have good news I might have picked up a breeding contract for a major store(cant mention names). all because I am helping them solve this project. If I get this contract I will need to expand to a barn. I will need lots of advice possibly. I told them I would buy breeder fish if they supply a contract.

+1 to HUKIT

Hormone use in ornamental fish by unscrupulous breeders (more typically in foriegn imports)is unfortunately becoming a more and more common practice. It results in fish that grow out quickly and can be sold for profit in a shorter timeframe. Which equates to larger profit that keeps this practice sustained. In goldfish, hormone use does result in largely sterile population of fish or hermaphrodites.

Back
Top Bottom