How fast does a tiger oscar grow in a 60 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.5-1 inch a month is about average for a healthy oscar

The key is doing regular water changes to keeping nitrates below 20ppm or even better below 10ppm, as well as providing a varied diet. Do you know that some oscars will eat bananas and mangoes? Some eat pineapple.

Oscars will grow up to an inch a month until they hit the 9-10" mark then they will slow down to .25-.50" a month until they reach their full adult size of about 14". In a 60 gallon tank I would perform roughly two 50% water changes a week to keep ammonia and nitrate levels low. Feed them a staple diet of pellets such as NLS, HBH or Omega One. Supplement their diets with gut loaded crickets, cleaned out earth worms, live fish that you have raised yourself and gut loaded with high quality food.

That sounds way to fibrous for the fish to even digest. I wouldn't even try to feed a Oscar that.

No fruits such as that are a great source of vitamins, but in all my years of breeding oscars I've never had a single fish accept any fruits. I've tried everything from grapes to kiwi but in the end they wanted no part. They only thing beside pellets and tank mates they'd accept any insect...even huge praying mantis were quickly eaten.

HUKIT said:
No fruits such as that are a great source of vitamins, but in all my years of breeding oscars I've never had a single fish accept any fruits. I've tried everything from grapes to kiwi but in the end they wanted to part.

True, a lot of Amazonian fish will eat fallen fruits during the rainy season when they travel into the forests.

Back
Top Bottom