How many??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

progolfman1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello i am new to aquariums and started up a cycled!!! 40 gallon african cichlid tank i know im cycled because i have 0ppm ammo 0ppm nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate and a ph of 8.0 water temp is 80 and i have 2 yellow lab, 2 yellow belly albert, 2 socoli snowflake, 2 pseudotropheus kinsizei lapingu, 2 rusty cichlid , 2 iceburg cichlid and 2 damasoni, all of them get along good now! I am feeding them a flake i get from a cichlid breeder in town its all he feeds his fish it consists of brine shrimp vegetables fruit , my fish love it and it makes the colours fanominal! Is this good to feed them? Would like another opinion, and how many fish should i stock up my tank to? I am picking up 15 pack of cichlid stones at my local fish store tommorow
thanks very much.

Not positive about the stocking advice, but if you want to save some money look up a landscape supply store in your area. I bought around thirty pounds of rock for three dollars, where my lfs wanted to charge me close to ten dollars for a single pound.

thanks for the advice!, I went with the cichlid stones because they all have caves in them, my fish seem to like them! here is a picture of my setup, I am getting a marineland double bright led light next week. 36''.

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Nice tank Ive intergrated some Cichlid rocks in my tank because a couple of my Peacocks like them and a few wont go in them for anything.

progolfman1 said:
thanks for the advice!, I went with the cichlid stones because they all have caves in them, my fish seem to like them! here is a picture of my setup, I am getting a marineland double bright led light next week. 36''.

Where did you get those? I'm really looking for stuff like that.

hey there , they are called cichlid stones by underwater galleries, I picked them up from my lfs I had to order them in, you can do that too or just order them from bigalsonline.ca or .com if your american.

Haha. I've been to a Big Als in Canada before. That was probably the nicest one I've been to so far.
I saw them on eBay also to compare prices... Rather pricy...

worth the $100 keeps the fish calm, female arlready layed eggs in one stone.

Hello i am new to aquariums and started up a cycled!!! 40 gallon african cichlid tank i know im cycled because i have 0ppm ammo 0ppm nitrite and 10 ppm nitrate and a ph of 8.0 water temp is 80 and i have 2 yellow lab, 2 yellow belly albert, 2 socoli snowflake, 2 pseudotropheus kinsizei lapingu, 2 rusty cichlid , 2 iceburg cichlid and 2 damasoni, all of them get along good now! I am feeding them a flake i get from a cichlid breeder in town its all he feeds his fish it consists of brine shrimp vegetables fruit , my fish love it and it makes the colours fanominal! Is this good to feed them? Would like another opinion, and how many fish should i stock up my tank to? I am picking up 15 pack of cichlid stones at my local fish store tommorow
thanks very much.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but with that size tank and stock list your in for some trouble. First thing is they get along now since they are juvies but that won't last long. When choosing mbuna tank size plays a vital role, imagine a family of 14 living in a one bedroom apartment cause that's what's happening. The fish you have chosen need to be a 4ft. tank at the minimum, due to territory and aggression issues. To reduce aggression the proper stocking of male to female ratios as in 1m to 4f. The next issue is going to be with the demasoni, they are hyper-aggressive and need to be stocked in numbers of at least thirteen to reduce the aggression with their own species. The only mbuna I would even dream of keeping in a 3ft tank would be a dwarf species like Saulosi or Afra Cobue. Some of the fish you selected will easily grow to 6" plus and without the proper space their will most certainly be issues. The cichlid stones will help some but when the fish start to mature that's when the trouble starts.

agressive fish will be gone instantly my buddy has a mbuna tank that went through 3 kills in 2 years and hes got way more aggressive species some fish are more aggressive than others ive found its all trial and error , some things work some things dont, thats why i got into this, i love it.

agressive fish will be gone instantly my buddy has a mbuna tank that went through 3 kills in 2 years and hes got way more aggressive species some fish are more aggressive than others ive found its all trial and error , some things work some things dont, thats why i got into this, i love it.

I'm sorry but it's not trial and error, stocking aggressive fish takes research and the tank available when the research ends. No offense but neither of those has been done IMO. Good luck.

HUKIT said:
I'm sorry but it's not trial and error, stocking aggressive fish takes research and the tank available when the research ends. No offense but neither of those has been done IMO. Good luck.

+1, I agree with HUKIT.

I have a wolf cichlid who lives in 300 gallons by himself, that fish can not live with anything. My female is almost ready to go in for breeding I hope he doesnt eat her!

I deleted the non productive posts. Just so we know, Everyone has the ability to post their opinion on this site. Please dont flame or trash other folks opinions.

+1 hukit..... I agree totally.... Were all on this forum, therefore able to look up what fish interests us/ compatible with what we have / want AND can house.... Some fish are Kinda like putting a feral cat in a room with a declawed cat to see what happens.... But there are some ppl that think that " they are just fish" and others of us who enjoy our finned companions... JMO....

Back
Top Bottom