I need a catfish and sucker fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Komodo

Aquarium Advice Activist
What catfish and sucker fish work well with Cichlids?

I like Plecostomus, I also like Clown loach can they work?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

First cichlids describe thousands of fish. I assume you are referring to African (Mbuna) cichlids as they are the most commonly referred to as just cichlid.

Plecos do fine with african cichlids all though you have to watch out as common plecos get very very large.

I would not do a clown loach with african cihlids all though I have seen people do it. Many people do synodontis catfish with africans. Synodontis come in in many different shapes and sizes.

Another issue is you said need a pleco? do you think you need a pleco due to algae? Some people think they need a "suckerfish" to clean algae but in truth what they really need is more water changes because plecos give off allot of waste which actually contributes to the algae growth. So if you have an algae problem for go the pleco and just do more water changes.

Which Africans are you referring to? I have a Malawi tank. In the tank I have a bristle nose pleco and a Feather Fin catfish. The catfish doesn't take crap from anyone in the tank and usually is the aggressor if they hang out in the cave he has claimed. Mbuna's like algae and will pick it off the rocks. There really isn't a "need" for one unless you like them. Common plecos are very dirty fish, I would avoid them if all possible.

First cichlids describe thousands of fish. I assume you are referring to African (Mbuna) cichlids as they are the most commonly referred to as just cichlid.

Plecos do fine with african cichlids all though you have to watch out as common plecos get very very large.

I would not do a clown loach with african cihlids all though I have seen people do it. Many people do synodontis catfish with africans. Synodontis come in in many different shapes and sizes.

Another issue is you said need a pleco? do you think you need a pleco due to algae? Some people think they need a "suckerfish" to clean algae but in truth what they really need is more water changes because plecos give off allot of waste which actually contributes to the algae growth. So if you have an algae problem for go the pleco and just do more water changes.

Very true
I actually think only a handful of Plecos (out of hundreds and hundreds) actually eat algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't recommend Clown Loaches as they should be in groups and get large.

If you have Algae, put your light on a timer and reduce lighting to 6-8 hours and increase water changes and feed less.

There is no fish that eats every kind of Algae.

Are you setting up AFRICAN Cichlids or ???

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, I am thinking of putting together a 90 gallon tank with African cichlids. (Malawi) is my first choice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Which Africans are you referring to? I have a Malawi tank. In the tank I have a bristle nose pleco and a Feather Fin catfish. The catfish doesn't take crap from anyone in the tank and usually is the aggressor if they hang out in the cave he has claimed. Mbuna's like algae and will pick it off the rocks. There really isn't a "need" for one unless you like them. Common plecos are very dirty fish, I would avoid them if all possible.

Both your suggestions are good. In a 90 gallon tank with about fifteen fish, how many Bristle nose pleco and Feather Fin catfish do you recommend?

Featherfin squeaker (synodontis)?
As long as it's a fair bit bigger than the cichlids.

Sorry, your reply wasn't there when I started typing. Featherfin IME get a bit snappy with each other, so 1 might be best. You could do more, but I'd stick to one. I have 1 Featherfin with 1 Decorus in a 130G with other things and they get along ok. My decorus is huge and a superb animal.

I would suggest one of each. My Mbuna's graze algae on the rocks and I wipe the glass down once a week when I do WC but I don't have algae build up on the glass, just a little slime. I feed NLS to the tank, never see the BN going after the pellets so he gets most of his intake off the underside of the rocks and the sponge filter I have set up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416844764.660056.jpg this is my clean up crew lol

He's a beauty

Back
Top Bottom