Ick ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. Got ick medicine and turned my heater up. I lowered my temp to 76 a few days ago, could that have done it ?

Ok. Got ick medicine and turned my heater up. I lowered my temp to 76 a few days ago, could that have done it ?

I don't think the water temp change would do it, usually poor water quality, my girlfriends tank got it a while back, it really sucks.

No, lowering your heater will not introduce ich into your aquarium. Ich is a protozoan that can only survive with a host, which means it came into your aquarium with a new fish, even if it was not immediately visible.

The best ich treatment is to raise your temperature to around 85 degrees F, (provided your fish can handle it) and dose your aquarium with aquarium/kosher salt. I don't remember the exact dosage, but it can be found online, or perhaps another member can provide the instruments. You'll also need to perform daily water changes in the beginning to remove the parasites.

I would personally recommend not using ich treatments. I find them very harsh compared to a natural salt treatment. The salt/temperature treatment is nearly 100% effective.

I don't think the water temp change would do it, usually poor water quality, my girlfriends tank got it a while back, it really sucks.

Poor water quality can only indirectly cause ich by lowering the fish's immune system. It is not the primary cause of the ich parasite.

No, lowering your heater will not introduce ich into your aquarium. Ich is a protozoan that can only survive with a host, which means it came into your aquarium with a new fish, even if it was not immediately visible.

The best ich treatment is to raise your temperature to around 85 degrees F, (provided your fish can handle it) and dose your aquarium with aquarium/kosher salt. I don't remember the exact dosage, but it can be found online, or perhaps another member can provide the instruments. You'll also need to perform daily water changes in the beginning to remove the parasites.

I would personally recommend not using ich treatments. I find them very harsh compared to a natural salt treatment. The salt/temperature treatment is nearly 100% effective.

Salt is good as long as you just have fish. For a planted aquarium that doesn't fly without killing all the vegetation. If you can quarantine do so but like me I had to treat the tank. I raised temp to 86 and used rid-ICH + for a few days. My loaches were COVERED in white spots and I was sure they would not survive. Maybe one day I noticed inactivity but after raising the temp and using the med it was as if they never had it. I can only vouch for rid ICH in regards to meds so I'm not promoting the use of ANY med.

bshenanagins said:
Salt is good as long as you just have fish. For a planted aquarium that doesn't fly without killing all the vegetation. If you can quarantine do so but like me I had to treat the tank. I raised temp to 86 and used rid-ICH + for a few days. My loaches were COVERED in white spots and I was sure they would not survive. Maybe one day I noticed inactivity but after raising the temp and using the med it was as if they never had it. I can only vouch for rid ICH in regards to meds so I'm not promoting the use of ANY med.

Fair enough, but who keeps two oscars in a planted tank? You might as well kill your plants with salt because they won't be around long.

Yup in my experience higher water temps and daily water changes will rid that ich better than any meds. I wouldn't transfer the fish to another tank.. All that does is give you 2 tanks you have to worry about and if there are other fish in the tank chances are they are infected as well. Also make sure you do you water changes on your other tanks before you start on that one as you can easily pass ich from one tank to another.

I wouldn't transfer the fish to another tank.. All that does is give you 2 tanks you have to worry about and if there are other fish in the tank chances are they are infected.

This is not always the case. Especially if you have fish that are more prone to disease like in my case with my loaches which are considered indicator fish because they show the first signs of infection if something is indeed in the tank. ICH doesn't just appear on fish it has to reach a host via swimming or latching on from a surface. So yes it can affect the whole tank but not always

Hey not tryin to tread on ya acer just sharing my experiences too, we can't all agree right?

best cure for ich I have found. U.V. sterilizer. Nothing better and it does a lot more than just kill ich.

That's good for prevention and all, but when it's introduced with a new fish, a uv sterilizer won't do anything...

best cure for ich I have found. U.V. sterilizer. Nothing better and it does a lot more than just kill ich.

A uv sterilizer will only kill ich in the free swimming stage, when its on the fish or in the gill plates that fancy light bulb won't kill anything besides your wallet.

Back
Top Bottom