IYO Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
In your opinion... what would be a good lighting fixture/fixtures for a 125 gallon Lake Malawi (mbuna) cichlid tank??

I would do a 50/50 of white or yellow/red spectrum and a blue light spectrum. thats two lights.... a dual fixture zoo med makes a decent light for this. not as expensive as other but still nice. if you use the zoomed lights get an ultra sun bulb and an ocean sun bulb....

Get a 4 bulb shop light from Home Depot or lowes and put in the 6700k "cool blue" bulbs. That's what i had on my 125 and felt it was more than enough.There's no reason to spend a bunch of money on lights if you're not growing any plants.

Thank you all! I appreciate the tips and suggestions!! I'm worried though because I do not have any lids or protection for this tank. It came with a standard light, but no lids or anything, so I'd have to buy two if need be. I am not going to be able to hang lights from my ceiling as my ceilings are vaulted and super high and slanted. I might consider that if I could come up with a cute idea to decorate around it! :) lol I appreciate the responses and suggestions.. keep them coming! :)

I use a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture. It's a Solarmax Xtreme fixture. I got it about 2 years ago (I think) it's by no means new lol. I also have a single T5 HO fixture all the way in back with a 10k sunlight bulb to give kinda a sunrise sunset effect. Not site if you can really see it in the picture but if you look close you can see more light in the back of the tank.

I have ATI bulbs. 2 blue special,1 blue plus and 1 purple plus.

And here it is right now.

All 4 lights on

image-2448709349.jpg

Just the blue plus, purple plus and the 10k sunlight bulb on

image-344085906.jpg

EDIT:

Actually I just looked again you can see the different shade of lighting on the driftwood on the right hand side. Exactly what I was going for :)

To each there own...

Last edited:
LOL man you guys spend a ton on light fixtures!! LOL I can't afford that... any cheaper ones that are just as good?

Well... Convict2161... I am not sure what I am thinking. I would like a decently cheap light fixture that would work well on the tank. I'm not a huge fan of hanging them from my ceiling and like I stated before I don't have any glass lids or anything, so I'll have to purchase those as well if the light is going to sit on the tank. I don't want to ruin my light by splashing water. :) However, I don't want to go too cheap and I end up having to replace everything a few months down the road... and I want a good quality light that will bring out the best colors in my fish without taking out a small loan for just a light fixture! lol :angel:

EDIT: Also, I would like to have some moonlight or such lighting for night time. As it is right now.. I keep the lights off on my 44 during the day and turn them on a night because I like to be able to see the fish when I get up with the kids throughout the night!! :)

Mommaof4boys said:
Well... Convict2161... I am not sure what I am thinking. I would like a decently cheap light fixture that would work well on the tank. I'm not a huge fan of hanging them from my ceiling and like I stated before I don't have any glass lids or anything, so I'll have to purchase those as well if the light is going to sit on the tank. I don't want to ruin my light by splashing water. :) However, I don't want to go too cheap and I end up having to replace everything a few months down the road... and I want a good quality light that will bring out the best colors in my fish without taking out a small loan for just a light fixture! lol :angel:

Haha ok... Can I call by another name?Your name is longer then mine lol.

You can get one of those lights I listed and then get some nice bulbs!! ATI makes some great bulbs and I use them. I you get the right color combo it will look awesome!

Dino :)

Haha ok... Can I call by another name?Your name is longer then mine lol.

You can get one of those lights I listed and then get some nice bulbs!! ATI makes some great bulbs and I use them. I you get the right color combo it will look awesome!

Dino :)

I'll have to check into those fixtures a little more.. I think I'll want more than just 2 bulbs per fixture, wont I? I know zip about color combos, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of help on the forum! ;)

You can call me Sheria...
Pronounced like the singer Cher, with an Uhh at the end! lol

Mommaof4boys said:
I'll have to check into those fixtures a little more.. I think I'll want more than just 2 bulbs per fixture, wont I? I know zip about color combos, but I'm sure I'll get plenty of help on the forum! ;)

You can call me Sheria...
Pronounced like the singer Cher, with an Uhh at the end! lol

Ok Sheria... Now ya got me saying the Uhh at the end. IMO I think you'll be much happier with a 4 bulb fixture also with the legs on the fixture you won't need lids. I'm topless with my fixture just sitting on top and its fine.

I don't think that will be an issue.

These are the bulbs I was speaking about.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/lighting/t5-florescent/bulbs.html

Ok Sheria... Now ya got me saying the Uhh at the end. IMO I think you'll be much happier with a 4 bulb fixture also with the legs on the fixture you won't need lids. I'm topless with my fixture just sitting on top and its fine.

I don't think that will be an issue.

These are the bulbs I was speaking about.

Bulbs - Bulk Reef Supply

LOL :) I can totally afford the bulbs! ;) It's the fixture I'm struggling with!! :( This is complicated!! :huh:

Mmmmm Uhhh... ;) It's doesn't have to be. You can get a good 4 bulb fixture for a decent price. I'm gonna do some searching for ya.

Back
Top Bottom