Jack Dempsey's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wailing Banshee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought these from a LFS from the owner's daughter. She said they were jewels. They were pale and scared so I took them. Are they even the same fish? I think they are JDs. Anyone?

image-2261139790.jpg

here's my juvie JD

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_150108.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_150108.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 80
oh, heres's my jewel, best one I could find

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_150404.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_150404.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 73
Those are jack dempseys.

One has a dark stripe and the other just the spots. Is that a male/female thing? I love their personalities. Another reason to get another tank.

They are the two smallest in the tank and my convict bully female doesn't phase them.

Here is a better one of her/him. They look the same except one is darker and they are inseparable.

The last pic is my convict brat. She's grown on me.

The top one still looks like it has to tall of a body shape. Ill wait till the others chime in to confirm it or not. But i still think its a con/jack

No thats a firemouth.

I guess I'll only buy from my LFS when the owner is in and not from his daughter :( I understand why there is opposition against selling hybrids. It isn't fair to the fish who get dumped for not being purebred or the fish hobbyist.

I guess I'll only buy from my LFS when the owner is in and not from his daughter :( I understand why there is opposition against selling hybrids. It isn't fair to the fish who get dumped for not being purebred or the fish hobbyist.

Good idea lol. I didnt want to get stuck with a hybrid but my lfs got me. Some wierd mayan/something hybrid. So after that i did 2+ hours of research on a TON of different cichlids everyday.

Almost looks like a JD/ firemouth, but I doubt it, probably just a witch hunt. Either way, it is at least part JD, if not all JD

Good idea lol. I didnt want to get stuck with a hybrid but my lfs got me. Some wierd mayan/something hybrid. So after that i did 2+ hours of research on a TON of different cichlids everyday.

Jack Dempseys for certain. I was told the paleness comes from their levels of aggression. The darker, the more dominant and aggressive. They might have been getting bullied in another tank by bigger fish.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130808_220659.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130808_220659.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 53
  • ForumRunner_20130808_220755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130808_220755.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 55
Jack Dempseys for certain. I was told the paleness comes from their levels of aggression. The darker, the more dominant and aggressive. They might have been getting bullied in another tank by bigger fish.

That makes sense. My convicts change color in seconds depending on stress. My darker JD is more aggressive and seems to be the leader of the duo.

Back
Top Bottom