JD help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshbou56

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

Recently my JD gets spooked all the time. It seems whenever I walk in the room he starts freaking out and darting around all over the tank. I'm concerned that he is getting stressed as well as the fact that he is smashing off the glass; I'm worried he's going to give himself a concussion or something. I've had him for about 5 months now, I got him when he was very young. He never did this before, this is a very recent thing. Sometimes I will peek my head into the room and he is hanging out in his flower pot. Almost like he is hiding. Then if I come in my room very slowly sometimes he will be fine with it, other times he will freak out. I tested my water yesterday and everything was the same way it always is. All of my nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia were at 0 and the temperature is the same. There has been no sudden changes in diet and no new tankmates. I used to be able to walk right into the room fast or slow and he was completely cool with it. He would come right over to the front of the tank to seem me. What do you guys think is going on. I also think that he is getting my other fish spooked as well because when he starts freaking out they also dart away and hide. Not sure if anyone has had this problem in the past. Attached is a picture of him. His belly looks a little swelled cause he just ate! He hogs all of the food!

Attachments

• image-649278693.jpg
    image-649278693.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 66
Jacks are very skittish fish and do tend to dart around and hide a lot when you approach the tank.I wouldn't worry too much.

But is it strange that its all of a sudden? Like within the last 2 weeks. He never did it before

Yeah last week. I do weekly water changes and change around the decor every week

No big deal then. JD's are spooked easily and the rearrangement prob added to it. Give it a few days and it should be fine. If not, buy it a little helmet! Lol

My mated pair started doing it. They don't as much when they have fry but once the fry start growing they become total chickens. Especially the male. They really p me off. I am on the verge of putting them on the auction block at the next meeting. I've had them with a group of clown loaches and by themselves. I hope it's a phase.

I hav 2 jack dempseys a 3 year old female n a 6 month old male both in seperate tanks due to the female beating him up but they both freak a little bit sometimes they r very jumpy fish n always hide away when i first walk into the room but i understand wat ur saying tho caus when the male was younger he was fearless really until he hit around 4 month old then all he did was hide :( but i cant wait till he gets abit older n bigger then i can hopefully put him in with the female and see if i can get them to pair off XD

Back
Top Bottom