L. tetracanthus and J. transcriptus 'Gombe'? Tanganyikan stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I need some quick help with stocking our Tanganyika tank. I would prefer to hear from folks who have actual experience with the fish in question, or at least related experience. :cool:

The tank is a 46 gallon bowfront (3' long) with holey rock for caves and sand substrate. It currently houses 8 Julidochromis transcriptus 'Gombe' ranging from about 2-3". We got a bag of 6 Lamprologus tetracanthus at an auction today for a price we couldn't refuse, and I need to know if I can house these fish together. The tetracanthus are roughly the same size as the transcriptus. I am aware that the tet's grow larger than the julies but I have not kept them before so I'm not sure how they would get along. I would like to breed both species, and if they will be incompatible in the long term, I will find a different tank to put the tet's in. I need to figure this out in the next couple of hours so help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. (y)

I'm afraid my knowledge of tetras is not first hand, I have a friend in GCCA who breeds them and they are little fiesty early on but when reaching maturity they can become extremely aggressive. Being a carnivore they will eat attack and eat other fish, they're great for fry control.

Last edited:
I appreciate the input HUKIT. Thanks to your advice, I decided to move them to a 20 gallon tank until I can re-do a 40 BR with aragonite sand and some rock to accommodate them (our water is quite soft out of tap). They are in their temporary tank now, looking great, and I will re-do that 40BR tank asap. Can anyone tell me if a group will be good to go in a 40 BR, alone? Or do I need to go to a 55 or 75 for a group of 6? Thanks again in advance! :)

Back
Top Bottom