Lab preggo i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from the pics i cant tell at all... dunno how much you know about labs and how they breed but the mouth will look full and not the stomach... for instance my lab now looks like this...
5mu78.jpg
e8sdwx.jpg

the region below the bottom lip (chin) area will expand downward...

constipated or too much food... hold off on feeding it a couple days, and some people suggest a deshelled thawed pea

Stop feeding all three...why not just cut back and she has been big like that since I bought her from petsmarts. Yeah could I just cut back I usually feed three times a day small amounts. I could cut back to once in the mornings until she unbloats and looks normal again. I don't wanna make my other fish go hungry cuz she is a fatty. My other to look great and healthy. Could she has a disease I know nothing about cichlids this is my first rodeo with them.

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Stop feeding all three...why not just cut back and she has been big like that since I bought her from petsmarts. Yeah could I just cut back I usually feed three times a day small amounts. I could cut back to once in the mornings until she unbloats and looks normal again. I don't wanna make my other fish go hungry cuz she is a fatty. My other to look great and healthy. Could she has a disease I know nothing about cichlids this is my first rodeo with them.

What do you feed them? 3 times a day is too much imo.

When pregnant they will go 25+ days without eating. They ALL will be fine if you don't feed for a couple of days.

theres always going to be differences in opinions on feeding... but i know i feed my fish every other day...

less clean up, less health issues, more active fish, and less PWC's even though i do those 2wice a week anywya...

also what are you feeding her? she looks like shes lost some color... what are your levels?

Well in the morning they get a little bloodworms, then about three or four I give them a couple of small cichlid pellets and then again pellets at like ten right be bed. I had read on a couple different pages when u feed cichlids it's better to do it two to three times a day in smAll amounts. Is that wrong? I Hap I have had for six months and thats how I have fed him since I got him and he never bloated like the lab. So should I just feed them once a day or what? I don't care about the mess I clean the tanks on normal basis anyways.

I've found that the mbuna (such as the yellow labs) will bloat with the bloodworms... Too much protein. A good treat for them are algae wafers.

Really so do I need to stop feeding blood worms and stick to the cichlid pellets and wafers cuz that's what I feed my plecto too.

Just to throw this out their first Labs don't become pregnant they become gravid (full of eggs) then after they spawn they are holding.

You only need to feed once a day or every other day. The only exception to this is if you have fry and are trying to grow them out then you feed 2-3 times a day.

Mbuna do not do to well if fed to much protein, IMO I would stop the blood worms. I would only feed a high quality low protein pellet like NLS, OmegaOne or Hakari. If you feel the need to supplement or give treat a piece of dried sea weed sheets that they sell for saltwater fish.

Okay, well right now I have topfin small cichlid pellets it says it has 43% protein is that to much? And is a Hap consider a mbuna? What about a jewel?

Chasnkevin4ever said:
Okay, well right now I have topfin small cichlid pellets it says it has 43% protein is that to much? And is a Hap consider a mbuna? What about a jewel?

What hap are we talking about? Jewels are actually a river fish and shouldn't be housed with Mbuna.

Here's the break down for NLS and Omega one.

OMEGA ONE

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein….39%
Min. Crude Fat………11%
Max. Crude Fiber…….2%
Max. Moisture………. 8.5%
Max. Ash……………..8%
Min. Phosphorus…….(.5%)
Min. Omega 3 ………. 2%
Min. Omega 6………...1%

INGREDIENTS: Whole Salmon, Whole Herring, Black Cod, Halibut, Whole Shrimp, Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Fresh Kelp, Lecithin, Astaxanthin, L-Ascorbyl-2-Phosphate (Source of Vitamin C),
Natural and Artificial Colors, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Folic Acid, Biotin, Inositol, Tocopherol (Preservative), Ethoxyquin (Preservative).

NLS

Guaranteed Analysis
Min. Crude Protein….34%
Min. Crude Fat………5%
Max. Crude Fiber…….5%
Max. Moisture………. 9%
Max. Ash……………..8%
Vit A…….8000 IU/KG
Vit D ………. 450 IU/KG
Vit E………...200 IU/KG

This is off my jar of NLS cichlid formula, below is a list off the forum as I am to lazy to list all the ingredients off the jar.

Krill, Herring, Wheat flour, Squid, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Spirulina, Beta carotene, Garlic, Vitamins and trace elements. The protein percentages vary(34-50%), depending on specific formula, with Ash content usually below 9%. Fat (Omegas 3 & 6) is 5-9%, moisture is around 6-7%. Some formulas such as Thera+A contain extra Garlic, and the Finicky Fish formula contains a large amount of Mussel. For more detailed information, please read the label on the jar.

i use NLS pellets... if u were to treat them every once in a while you could give them a little bloodworm but not as a regular thing....

This is what I need to know about all my fish if anyone can help. Ph levels, nitrate level, ammonia level, any other levels I need to test. If it's a mbuna or what? What they eat? Anything else I need to know and I will definitely write is all down cuz my memory is crap lol. Thanks everyone for the info I wanna do right by my fish.
My fish
Blue Hap
Yellow lab
Pearl cichlid
Plecto
Ram cichlid
Dino bichir

Back
Top Bottom