Last of my updated pics.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Last edited:
Awesome stuff! Im not a huge cichlid fan, but you just made me want a cichlid tank!

Mumma.of.two said:
Those are some lucky fish! Looks really good! Lighting looks good too. :D

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Awesome stuff! Im not a huge cichlid fan, but you just made me want a cichlid tank!

Thank you both!! Worked real hard on it! :)

Haha ya that would be awesome! I just ended up adding more plants and some snails when i got bored! Haha and then i bought another tank... Uhh ohh..

Yeah I think I'm gonna get her a nice beta tank. Is a 10 gallon good for a beta. I need a filter and heater also right? I guess time to research beta's. don't wanna go to crazy. Do you have any links for a basic beta set up? Best to keep the beta alone or add a few other fish? Just wanna give her something nice and do a nice setup.

Convict2161 said:
Yeah I think I'm gonna get her a nice beta tank. Is a 10 gallon good for a beta. I need a filter and heater also right? I guess time to research beta's. don't wanna go to crazy. Do you have any links for a basic beta set up? Best to keep the beta alone or add a few other fish? Just wanna give her something nice and do a nice setup.

10gals perfect! You could get a 5gal for just a Betta or in a 10gal get some more fish like ember tetras or pigmy cories. (tank mates really depend on the Betta personality, some HATE tank mates other don't). Yes, they do need a heater set at 80F and a filter. They don't like high flow. Look in my profile and you'll see 3 of my 4 betta tanks. :)

Edit: You don't want anything too sharp/rough in the tank because they might get there fins/tail caught and torn.

Very nice! I think she's really gonna love it. I'll do a 10 gallon and for now leave the beta alone. Looks like you did sand? So I'll do sand. Some plants and rocks for decor. A small filter and a heater. Do you have a lid? Do they need light? So tank,sand,heater,small filter, some plants an rocks and I'm good to go? I'll do it tomorrow while she's working. I hope the LFS has a pretty one for her. Oh wait... I have to cycle tank first. Almost forgot. So I won't get fish yet. Just set up tank.

Convict2161 said:
Very nice! I think she's really gonna love it. I'll do a 10 gallon and for now leave the beta alone. Looks like you did sand? So I'll do sand. Some plants and rocks for decor. A small filter and a heater. Do you have a lid? Do they need light? So tank,sand,heater,small filter, some plants an rocks and I'm good to go? I'll do it tomorrow while she's working. I hope the LFS has a pretty one for her. Oh wait... I have to cycle tank first. Almost forgot. So I won't get fish yet. Just set up tank.

You can do sand or gravel. I like sand :D IMO java ferns look amazing in smaller tanks. Easy to care for too. Lids are a must. Bettas like to jump! Yes, a light would be good then you can have live plants and see the Betta :p
And yes! Cycle the tank!
Once you get the Betta get some high quality pellets for him too!

Ok will do. What size filter? Something small no? I'll browse the LFS and figure it out. Thanks once again Mumma!! :)

Convict2161 said:
Ok will do. What size filter? Something small no? I'll browse the LFS and figure it out. Thanks once again Mumma!! :)

Your welcome! Something rated enough for the tank size plus a bit more. So a 20g filter on a 10g tank. Adjustable flow is a good idea. I find HOBs are good on Betta tanks. You can put a sponge under the output waterfall to disperse the water.

Mumma.of.two said:
Your welcome! Something rated enough for the tank size plus a bit more. So a 20g filter on a 10g tank. Adjustable flow is a good idea. I find HOBs are good on Betta tanks. You can put a sponge under the output waterfall to disperse the water.

Will do... This is gonna be fun!

Convict2161 said:

Betas are air breathers and so there for they do not require a filter and or an air stone and I have mine in a beta cube

Every fish requires a filter. Maybe a Betta can live in an unfitered cup, but it is miserable.

The fact that they are air breathers changes barely anything except their mouth shape.

Back
Top Bottom