long vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GwynHoutBAy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I have a cichlid tank but this is a general question ( could not find a topic for general discussion of tank care).

I am leaving for overseas for 3 months. I can not afford to have someone come and take care of 6 fish and tank while I am gone so I am going to take fish back to shop for a credit.

What I need to know is
1) can I leave the tank set up and just have someone top up with water from time to time?
2) Should I cover to prevent algae growth?
3) Should I leave the filtering pump on and can I turn it off? I could leave just a air stone or both.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.. I leave in about a week so a prompt reply would be great.
Gwyn

You can leave it up and running but 3 months with out a good source and your bb colonies will most likely die off and you’ll have to re cycle the tank anyway so I’d drain it if it were me.

So bb is bacteria? What if I left just the catfish and fed him every once in a while?

You could, but I didn’t think that was an option? Also you may want to think about worse case scenario and a seam fails or filter clogs, that could be a lot of water on the floor for a long time.

I agree with taking it down is the best option. Any chance you know anyone who would foster the fish until you get back?

Back
Top Bottom