Malawi bloat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yellowblaze

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. Malawi hap has bloat, hasn't eaten for a week, just started treating with metro. Has anyone used Epsom salt as well? the belly is rounded, would the damage be already too late (liver, kidney)? Will the belly subside? Has anyone had this experience with their Malawi?

Plus one on this! My lil yellow lab has the same thing. I fed it peas to try to help but it hasn't gone away yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sad to say, mine didn't last long, good or bad.....I loss him this morning. Meds didn't work could have been late, I guess once the belly get bigger, it can't be saved. I have a moori dolphin not eating now, I separated him, hope I don't loose him either.

What is their diet? I feed NLS cichlid pellets and all purpose flake food from NLS also. Once in awhile I feed the syno cats I have in there shrimp pellets and algae waffers. My guess is that my guy ate a shrimp pellet and couldn't pass it. Some cichlids really aren't supposed to eat meat which is what I think happened to me. My little guy is still kicking but I don't have high hopes for him.

I feed them the NLS pellets (1mm) about 50-60 pcs. and flakes Cobalt brand for cichlids for the ones who don't go on top to feed. I feed them once a day. You mentioned catfish, I acquired 2 big synodontis angelicus, about 6 and 8", not really sure how they eat, I only had them for 2 weeks. I was told to drop food at night when lights are off for them. I've done it last week, maybe this is not a good idea, but how would the Catfish eat?

The catfish are bottom feeders which means they will eat almost anything that falls to the gravel floor. They are great for eating the leftover food but they should get some supplemental food for themselves. Usually it is a sinking tablet that is too big for the other fish to eat and you just try to aim it where they hangout and they'll find it and gnaw on it for a little while.

Back
Top Bottom