Male Apistogramma tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingtrees

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wondering if anyone has done a male apisto tank before? I hear some do it with success. I know it all depends on the cichlids personality but let me know what else you think of the idea. I have a 55 gallon planted tank. Has been up and running for 6 months or so.

So far, I have 2 apisto males (Macmasteri and Trifasciata) 8 dwarf rainbows and and 12 dwarf loaches. Thinking I would like to add 1 or 2 more males but wouls have to add another hiding spot. The apistos definitely noticed each other! 1606088552698.jpeg1606088622044.jpeg

Wondering if anyone has done a male apisto tank before? I hear some do it with success. I know it all depends on the cichlids personality but let me know what else you think of the idea. I have a 55 gallon planted tank. Has been up and running for 6 months or so.

So far, I have 2 apisto males (Macmasteri and Trifasciata) 8 dwarf rainbows and and 12 dwarf loaches. Thinking I would like to add 1 or 2 more males but wouls have to add another hiding spot. The apistos definitely noticed each other! View attachment 318709View attachment 318710

I have an adult male Viejita and a baby male cockatoo. They are both lit up really nicely with nice colors, and what I find really nice is that the baby follows the adult male around and the adult doesn't seem to mind. I imagine this situation might change as the cockatoo gets older. But perhaps being of different species makes it work better.

Try anything with dwarf cichlids, just be well prepared to act fast and remove fish. Lots of clay pot caves and plant walls. If a female is introduced (of any type) all bets off.

Going well so far. They notice each other, dance and then go their seperate ways. The rainbows and loaches seem to help break up any chasing, almost like referees. The trifasciata seems to be the boss, swimming the entire tank. The macmasteri is a little more reclusive and goes from cave to plants to cave but doesn't seem bothered.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Hopefully at some point I can add one or two more.

Back
Top Bottom