Male or Female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t27countryboy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 oscars,...Would anybody please tell me the difference between male and female?How can you tell them apart? I need to find a new home for two of them because I dont have a big enough tank for them and it breaks my heart to give them away..I love them so much..Does anyone know where I can find a 75 or 90 gallon tank for around $100.00.I know..It is impossible..If I find a bigger tank, is this equipment enough:...2 emperor 400's.....Marineland 300watt submersible heater...1 rena 200 air pump.....1 tetra-tec AP200 air pump..???Anyway,I would like to keep one male and 1 female if I can figure the sex out. Thank you..

i don't think you will need that extra air pump. and im not very knowledgeable about oscars. but for the tank you should get a second hand one if you want it for that price. check ebay, and your local newspaper classifieds, check the buying/selling forum on this site. you could also check online trading posts, or post a WTB post in aquarium advice forum or some other classifieds.

in my opinion your local newspaper is best :)

if you are looking for a cheap tank, look on www.craigslist.com. also check out any local aquarium groups/societies auctions. I got a 90 gallon for $30 at one, so you can find some great deals.

4 Oscars in a 90 gallon would be ok, at first. If you were willing to do 2xweek water change, and then you would need a filter that can pump about 400 gph at least. A 100 or 125 gallon would be better, although I know its hard to find large tanks cheap. But to keep 4 full grown Oscars, youre going to need a huge tank unless you really like changing water...alot. Youre going to end up with 4 feet full of fish when they are full grown! HTH

Back
Top Bottom