moving my red devil asap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LogansMomma

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm hoping to get a new tank just for my red devil, aka: Carlos. I was thinking somewhere around 75 gal. He's tormenting my Oscars and I want him out of the tank.

I was looking for some advice on him as far as decor goes. He seems to like my fake plants and drift wood. I did some research on red devils and saw mostly nothing in the tanks they were kept in. I don't necessarily want this.

After my new 45 gal hex cycles he will be moving there temporarily. Right now he's aprox. 3.5 inches and very aggressive.

Any advice will help*

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120423_152908.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120423_152908.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 89
I keep a devil too, and yes a bare tank. He is roughly 8" or so now. And is pure evil. He's in his own 55. I am planning on getting another 75g for just him.

They are best kept as solo fish due to the highly aggressive nature. I have tried keeping mine with many types of fish. Never works out.

The reason you have seen many bare tanks with devils, is because they are notorious diggers, and uprooters. I keep mine bare for this exact reason.

I mean do you really wanna be sticking your hand in a tank with a fish that will attack and draw blood every other day? I get bit and bleed at least twice a month during wc's. I don't need any more reasons to be putting my hand in the tank with a fish that clearly does not want me there.

Both oscars and devils are FULL of personality, yes the attitudes are night and day different. I'd recommend if you are not ready for a near bare tank just go ahead and re home the devil now. Specially not having the proper tank for it already since you don't want it with your oscars. The hex tank is not the best fit for any cichlid IMO. And with our knowing when you will have time/money for a new tank, I just don't recommend putting the fish in a tank it can't live happily in.

Anyways. Any other questions just hit me up. Im a die hard RD fan and love to offer advise/opinions when I can.

Good luck with your rd. they rock.

Well I'm definitely not going to get rid of him thats for sure. I've grown quite attached to his personality. I have already found a 75 gal that will be perfect. This will solve my Oscar issue.

As for the hex, it will most likely only be for about a month for the new tank (75) to cycle. I have 3 tanks to seed it with so it won't be too much longer than that.

I'm going to have the tank in a room that's not going to be a 'show tank'. Maybe sand. Small pebbles for him to play with. I'll let him do the tank 'his way'. Lol. Acrylic of course.

I'm going to have the tank in a room that's not going to be a 'show tank'. Maybe sand. Small pebbles for him to play with. I'll let him do the tank 'his way'. Lol. Acrylic of course.[/QUOTE]

In a perfect world that sounds great. But I would recommend pool filter sand opposed to the more fine sands. If he does end up being a digger/decor mover. The more fine sands will be kicked around much more to the point I'd worry about it getting in my filters.

Like I said I wish you luck with your rd. they are great fish. I wish I could have more then a flowerpot in his tank, I tried the smallest of the rock substrates... He pushed it all to one side and left the other side bare bottom. Ripped up plants and flipped any ornament I put in the tank. Even his bubbler got ripped up.

Lol they truly are the spoiled kids of the fish world. No matter how bad he is I always wanna do something nice for him knowing he's just gonna ruin it. Lol.

With that said I'm off to buy some live crickets for him cause I forgot to feed him before work over 13 hours ago.. Haha

I use pool filter sand in all of my tanks besides my 90. Works great!

So far he hasn't messed with any of the decor I've put with him. I suppose it will have to be a trial and error type thing, but I'm along for the ride. :) I can already tell he's going to be an awesome fish.

Back
Top Bottom