My last Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium1

Aquarium Advice Addict
ummm... "This is the most aggressive Mbuna I have ever encountered. Due to their aggressive nature, this species should not be housed in anything less than 75 gallons, especially if you plan to keep more than one." from Metriaclima lombardoi

ummm... "This is the most aggressive Mbuna I have ever encountered. Due to their aggressive nature, this species should not be housed in anything less than 75 gallons, especially if you plan to keep more than one." from Metriaclima lombardoi
My kenyi are totally bossed by my albino socolofi, he's the dominate fish in the tank. None of the kenyi are in the top three or four, my orange zebras pretty much fill in those slots.

I got two synodontis petricola for my mbuna and honestly I think they are my favorite fish. They have all the character of a cichlid and they scavenge the bottom like vultures lol. Best part is they will max out at less than 8 inchs so you won't be stuck with a two foot catfish in the end. Most stay smaller and I really haven't seen any myself over 6 inchs but I don't go looking either lol

Thanks. It turns out I only have room for about 10 mbuna lol. About the syno... How much did you pay for yours? Do they have to be 2 or can I have just 1. What do you feed them? Thanks.

I paid about 12 bucks each...I don't think you'd have to get more than one but mine do interact frequently with each other. They eat left over flakes or pellets, I don't feed them anything specifically for them. They are quite plump on the cichlids food alone and will even swim upside down at the top and eat with the others.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...AAAAAAFA/Q66tJIySFr0/Synodontis+Petricola.jpg

I think you may want to get another group of cichlids as well. It will help even out some aggression, if you have any yet, and will add even more color. I have 4 yellow labs and 4 maingano in my 55 with my 2 petricola and am looking to bump up the population to around 12 by adding another species, although I am taking longer than planned to do so lol

Well...
Cichlid-Forum said:
Select any 3 species (max 12 fishes):
• Metriaclima estherae
• Pseudotropheus saulosi
• Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei"
• Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
• Labidochromis caeruleus
• Labidochromis sp. "Perlmutt"
• Labidochromis chisimulae
• Iodotropheus sprengerae
• Cynotilapia afra
Do not mix any Labidochromis species.
Soo... I just need one more species from there, so I guess 12 is fine.

Yeah 12 is a solid number if you get a good mix. The type of fish is all personal preferance and availability so have fun and pick what you like.

Yep take your time, dont buy anything you are going to regert, Kenyi would go good with the red zebras and labs, or how about some bumblebees

Yeah thanks Guys. I'm trying to do as much as possible to prevent some big mistake *knock on wood*. I'll look into those species. For some reason, in the back of my head I thought that therewas only certain mbuna that got along with certain mbuna but it's more trial and error and individual personalities.

Well I printed out a page on Hongi and this weekend I'm gonna try to take it to my lfs and see if I can special order it.

Guys, my 75 "garden variety" tank is doing amazing with Labs, a BB blotch Zebra, Red Zebras and Kenyis is doing great... ALL fish are spawning repeatedly, and the Kenyis (of which I have two males, go figure) are the less aggro than the BB blotch Zebra who seems to rule the tank. Nobody fights, except a little girl-on-girl action among the Kenyis once in a while. Oh and Kenyi fry seems to be the only fry smart enough to make it in this tank... I see other fry periodically, but the Kenyi babies are the only ones I still see after a couple months.

Back
Top Bottom