My new 115G Cichlid tank - What you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
After asking around what I should put in my now empty 115G tank, alot of people said "go with Cichlids". So today I started it. Here is what I did. Tell me what you think. I got 1 blue frontosa, 1 yellow lab, 1 puffer, 1 Mangano, 4 "assorted Cichlids" and one that I forgot the name that looks like an angelfish. Please if you can identify let me know. If I have made mistakes let me know. I can always change things up. They are all about 1.5 to 2" long and seem to be getting along and exporing their new surroundings. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Angel.jpg
    Angel.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Casper.jpg
    Casper.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 95
  • frontosa.jpg
    frontosa.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 86
  • halloween.jpg
    halloween.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 88
More pics of the new cichlids

Here are some more pics of the new cichlids.

Attachments

• Manganoup.jpg
    Manganoup.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 88
  • OJ.jpg
    OJ.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 103
  • puffer.jpg
    puffer.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Yellow Lab.jpg
    Yellow Lab.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 94
Here is one pic of the overall look of the tank. Oh ya, it belongs to my daughters! They picked out the fish! Forgot, there are also 2 pleco's about 8" long.

Attachments

• DSC00294.jpg
    DSC00294.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 147
Like that puffer the other one is called a mono something i think.

the orange one looks like a sun rise peacock and the yello one looks like an electric yellow with nice color and then the all white looks like a snow white

Puffers don't always play nice with others....so watch that guy.

And I believe Monos (first pic in your first post) are brackish and not freshwater.

Good looking tank!

What are the requirements for brackish? I did add salt to the tank for the puffer. I was told that the cichlids would be fine with the salt but that the puffer needed it. Is that what brackish is? Sorry for the ignorance. BTW, can someone identify this fish? He is one of the "assorted cichlids" and I think he is beautiful. It is kind of a lavender colored body and yellow top fins and tail and white belly and bottom fins.

Attachments

• DSC00315.jpg
    DSC00315.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 111
After some research (that should have been done before purchase, I know) the mono argentus and the puffer are brackish. I was warned to watch the puffer by the guy at the LFS, but my daughter wanted it so I agreed and he said he would take it back if it caused problems. It has been a full day and night so far and no issues. I hope it stays that way. I like the mix we have right now.

That last one is a Yellow Tailed Acei... If it were my tank, I would do one of two things: Nix all the other fish except the Frontosa and get a lot more Frontosa, or ditch the Puffer and the Frontosa and add a ton more mbuna...

But, being that the girls picked out the fish, I know that is going to probably NOT be happening, lol...

Seriously, that Frontosa is a baby, but it would do much better in a group. And it eats different stuff than the mbuna. I don't think you have a Peacock either, it looks like you have an Orange Blotch Red Zebra, a regular red Zebra, and a Yellow lab along with the Frontosa and the Acei.

I assume the all white one is a type of zebra also then? Should I get more frontosa to put in with these or would they take over the tank? Thanks for all the information and advise, and you are right about taking them all back. That would be a difficult prospect. Sorry for all the questions. This is a learning experience for me and my girls. Put alot of faith in the guy at the LFS.

my frontosa does fine with my others and eats the same stuff africans are vegetarians and can get bloat or other things if the eat to much meat

Nice tank, good luck with it. I have the same exact situation, My 2 girls picked cichlids as well and the older one is 5 and wants the same puffer you have. They sure are beautiful fish and the only way they will ever leave the tank is old age, however the 5 year old yells at the Demasoni and threatens to bring him back to the LFS because he doesn't share the big rock with anyone.
It's all about the kids. Take care.:D

So, it's been 2 days and no problems yet. I have been feeding flake food (tetraMin) and a few frozen bloodworms. They all seem to be eating and enjoying the food. I was going to continue with the flake food once a day and the blood worms every 2 or 3 days. Sound about right?

my frontosa does fine with my others and eats the same stuff africans are vegetarians and can get bloat or other things if the eat to much meat

Okay... Read the following paragraphs please, and point out where it says they are algae grazers... I cut and pasted this from a cichlid forum, author is Marc Ellison.

"Frontosa is a lethargic and slow-moving fish. Even in the lake they don't expend much energy in hunting down their food. Nature has endowed them with a unique trait which gives them an advantage over their prey - Fronts are nocturnal feeders and don't require much light to wake up.

Fish make up the majority of their diet, Cyprichromis species being their primary target. Cyps spend the day in large schools (numbering in tens of thousands) in the upper water column, but at dusk, they descend to the bottom where they hug the substratum. Fronts, still awake and alert, easily scoop the unsuspecting Cyps up by the mouthful. Because of the ease with which they are able to feast upon the Cyps, frontosa don't have to spend much energy chasing their food, a chase they would certainly lose to the agile Cyps during the day.

In the tank, this cichlid can be fed small feeder fish (live or frozen), mysis, shrimp, krill, and worms. Pellets are also a good food, but flakes should be avoided after they reach 4 or 5 inches in total length. Flakes will either go ignored or get too messy and are not adequate to bring them into breeding condition."

With all of that being said, you probably CAN keep them together, many people probably do, BUT I am a hobbyist who strives to keep my aquariums as close as possible to an environment per the inhabitants I keep... I am not about to try and put in tank dividers several times a day to keep my mbuna from eating the meaty pellets given to the Fronts when they should be eating their spirulina flake... That's all I am saying.

Maybe your mbuna will spawn and provide a live snack for the Fronts? :p

Right now the frontosa is about an inch long and is eating the flakes and the bloodworms. I guess when he gets bigger I will have to consider putting him in a different tank that suits him better at his larger size or start throwing some feeders in there. Thanks for the information.

Right now the frontosa is about an inch long and is eating the flakes and the bloodworms. I guess when he gets bigger I will have to consider putting him in a different tank that suits him better at his larger size or start throwing some feeders in there. Thanks for the information.

They are slow growers, but I have a feeling that when he gets bigger you will want a tank full of Frontosas... They are beautiful fish... Your tank is adequate to house a small colony of them when young, but adults do best in 6 foot tanks.

I would try not to let the mbuna get too many of those bloodworms as they can bloat very easily...

Could I have a small colony with the other fish that I have in there now? The LFS that I got this one at has them 5 for $50. If I got 5 more would they terrorize the rest of the tank?

I doubt it... It would be a long time before they get big enough to do that on flake food. I am not saying it is not possible to house Fronts and algae grazers in the same tank at all. I am just being nit-picky about keeping animals with different dietary needs in the same system... I have tried it, and over the years determined that it really does not fit my personal needs for a simple-to-maintain tank... I don't want to have to worry about stuff like that, I want to spend time admiring the tank.

You probably won't see any other problems than the fact that you can't grow the Frontosas out to their grandiose, admirable size fast enough on that diet and you will have some overweight mbuna that are susceptible to bloat if they eat too much of the protein rich foods that it would take to keep the Fronts fat and sassy, which to me is what they should look like... Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think I will probably go ahead and pick up 5 more frontosa's then. I was thinking within the next year or so of starting up another 55 or larger tank anyway. That would probably be the right time to move the frontosa's and get them on the proper diet. Do you think I should not feed the bloodworms at all for now, or just go easy on them?

Back
Top Bottom