Need opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msumpter87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a 55 gallon African tank and in the next couple weeks I'm selling those and converting to sa/ca. I have researched fish and I think I'm gonna go with a couple firemouths and a festivum. But I was also looking at a salvini. All these fish according to my research stay around 6 inches. I have never kept these fish so I don't know for a fact. Can I have all 4 or should I drop something?? I have 2 hob filters that will do a combined 450 gph and the tank is fully cycled and there is lots of rocks and fake plants to hide in.

Cichlasoma Salvini females will stay around 6" but I've had numerous males reach 8-9" and they are nasty. I've had smaller males destroy tankmates including larger Festae who were twice their size. In a 55g you may be able to have a pair(4 would like WW3), and I stress maybe since the males will kill the female if he's ready to dance and she's not. I'd try a pair with alot of target fish to keep the males busy, they're cool but I'd out them in my top 10 list of aggressive centrals. Loads of cool options for centrals without the temperment and teeth of some of the nasties.

Here is one of last pairs,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 88
msumpter87 said:
I currently have a 55 gallon African tank and in the next couple weeks I'm selling those and converting to sa/ca. I have researched fish and I think I'm gonna go with a couple firemouths and a festivum. But I was also looking at a salvini. All these fish according to my research stay around 6 inches. I have never kept these fish so I don't know for a fact. Can I have all 4 or should I drop something?? I have 2 hob filters that will do a combined 450 gph and the tank is fully cycled and there is lots of rocks and fake plants to hide in.

The salvinis could be rough as Hukit meantioned. I expect firemouths and a festivum would do fine together in that tank and you could also add some schooling fish to make it more lively.

There is a very extensive list of small and mid-sized central American cichlids you could do in that tank of you were willing to order online. The firemouths are a good start, but really get out-shined by most of the other fish in that genus.

msumpter87 said:

P.s. I'm glad to hear you're joining the right side of Cichlid keeping.

The salvinis could be rough as Hukit meantioned. I expect firemouths and a festivum would do fine together in that tank and you could also add some schooling fish to make it more lively.

There is a very extensive list of small and mid-sized central American cichlids you could do in that tank of you were willing to order online. The firemouths are a good start, but really get out-shined by most of the other fish in that genus.

I would order online but I'm getting 3 or 4 fish and I can't justify paying the shipping cost. If I had a bigger tank with more stocking options I would think about it. Is there anymore common mid size cichlids you would suggest??? I want to stay away from the smaller fish like rams. My options are limited so I'm just fine with the firemouths and festivum but if I can get more I will.

I rarely purchase anything local, I would say 95% of my current stock is ordered online. One thing to keep in mind is the fish are generally cheaper so even factoring shipping cost it works out to be close. But using this avenue will open doors to potential cichlids you'll never see locally, plus shipping is anywhere from $15-35 on average.

But there are always the standard cichlids such as Andinoacara rivulatus, Rocio octofasciata, Amatitlania nigrofasciata, or Heros severus to name a few.

Last edited:
msumpter87 said:
I would order online but I'm getting 3 or 4 fish and I can't justify paying the shipping cost. If I had a bigger tank with more stocking options I would think about it. Is there anymore common mid size cichlids you would suggest??? I want to stay away from the smaller fish like rams. My options are limited so I'm just fine with the firemouths and festivum but if I can get more I will.

It really depends on your area. I am lucky and have some really good large stores within driving distance that carry diverse and rare cichlid species. The main reason I enjoy buying locally is the ability to see the exact fish I'm getting. Most people aren't as lucky and would have an incredibly dismal selection without the Internet.

As mentioned above, cost is not always the biggest factor when you look at online rates vs local store prices. I've made out pretty good with Online purchases costing less than $20 for shipping.

I ended up going with 2 firemouths and a festivum. I also got a salvini but it is gonna go In a dufferent tank with my Texas cichlid and this particular Texas is more than capable of handling itself. Also I'm gonna use a tank divider if I have to, to let them get use to each other. Thank you for all the advice.

Jeff Rapps at tangledupincichlids.com has some nice stock and a great reputation from what I've heard, i think I've seen Hukit has ordered from him.

Back
Top Bottom