Need some help stocking my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmw9787

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I just bought a new tank on craigslist. It was a nice deal too. 75 gallon tank, stand, gravel, heater, fluval 405 filter, decorations, food, and a bunch of african cichlids - $300! But now i'm realizing the guy may not have picked the best fish for the tank. Current stock is:

2 red zebras
1 red peacock
1 bumblebee
1 maingano
2 convicts
1 cobalt blue zebra
2 8 inch common plecos

I'm thinking some of these guys should go, like the convicts, the bumblebee, and the plecos. What I'm wondering is what you all would stock the tank with personally. I want some fish with bright colors like the peacock, but also some less bright but still stunning fish. I also don't know how many fish to put in there but right now it seems a bit under stocked. FYI, i have a fluval 405 and a rena xp3 filter on this tank so filtration is not an issue. Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions!

also, pictures of the fish here...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/help-me-id-my-fish-please-306511.html

Very nice peacock! I'd keep him and add more in two batches. I'd trade the rest in for credit! It's more pricy but I think going for an all male peacock tank would be both your best option and amazing looking! Also FYI, paint the back or add a background. Being in front of the window will grow tons of algae

I really like that peacock too! Can't find any others red ones like him near me. Found some blue ones but the store wanted $100 each! I'm working on the background thing, just need to go buy one since the one the craigslist guy gave me is too small.

I've been doing my own research and was considering adding a few yellow labs, some jewel cichlids, a few demasoni, a few blue ahli, and if i can find one, another red peacock. Any thoughts on that mix?

No jewels or demasoni! Jewels aren't African lake cichlids. They're from rivers. Demasoni can be crazy aggressive. Mine were only toward each other but I lost them in power outage.

Ok. Well today I donated the bumble bee and convicts. I bought 3 yellow labs (about 1.5") and will be growing them out in my 20 gallon long tank. Still undecided about what else will be going in there. I want something dark blue, something black, and then some really bright fish. Do any certain cichlids pop into your mind that fit those descriptions?

Ok. Well today I donated the bumble bee and convicts. I bought 3 yellow labs (about 1.5") and will be growing them out in my 20 gallon long tank. Still undecided about what else will be going in there. I want something dark blue, something black, and then some really bright fish. Do any certain cichlids pop into your mind that fit those descriptions?

I would add more aulonocara (peacocks) Maylandi Sulpher head ( black and yellow) Otopharanx lithobates (blue and yellow) ngara flaimetail (blue and red/orange)

Back
Top Bottom