New 240 gallon African cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave Dynasty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello.

I'm interested in thoughts regarding how to populate my new 240 gallon aquarium with African cichlids, which is what we've chosen. I have a full sump system with media filters, a gravel bottom and rock structures from Universal Rocks.

I haven't yet added fish and the aquarium's been cycling for about three weeks, primed with a brown, gunky filter from a small aquarium and some bottled bacteria. I'd like to add fish soon. But before I do so, I'd like to add some smaller bottom feeders to get the full nitrogen cycle started and stabilized. So....

Any thoughts on bottom feeders for cichlids? And then, how should I begin populating the tank? I read that peacocks and mbunas can be mixed, if the peacocks are allowed to grow a bit bigger before introducing mbunas. Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated!

Dave

I've got clown loaches and plecos,I've got a mix of mbunas and peacocks,they are doing fine,a few scuffles every now and then but no body has been murdered,lol,got some venustus,big electric blue and a good variety have fun choosing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No offense, with a tank that size you could do some awesome sa/ca cichlids. Better size and far better personality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Better yet, a couple big hunks of wood, tall grasses, good mix of stone sizes mixed into sand, and a good current. North American natives tank! Lol

I would use this for larger South Americans, but that's just me. A pair of hoplarchus psittacus would look amazing in that tank size, maybe along with a few uaru amphianthancoides or maybe krobia xinguensis or aequidens metae

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow... All the African hate :( not sure where you are at but get the api master test kit to make sure everything is cycled.

That big of a tank could do frontosa if you are looking for larger size. Any initial thoughts?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Of course, the OP is asking about *African* cichlids... :rolleyes:

I haven't kept Africans, but, if this is your first time, experienced keepers I follow have recommended yellow labs and purple aceis as good fish for newbies. OB peacocks are also gorgeous, but I don't know how hard those are to keep.

As for compatible bottom feeders... :confused: Sorry, I've no idea.

I do envy you having such a large tank to start with, though. :)

Synodontis varieties are the go to bottom feeders for African cichlids

Sent from my LGLS990 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom