New African Mbuna 55 gallon tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all,
I'll be rinsing out my pfs tomorrow and finally arranging my slate... I wanted to run my list of future cichlids and see what you guys think of them. I was going to go with 3 or 4 species with a 1-3 M/F ratio.
Rusties
Yellow labs
Acei
Red zebra
Socolofi
One Male Johanni?

I plan of choosing 3 or 4 of those species for the tank, and ill be buying them when they are small(1-1.5"). Any advice on compatability or other interesting species is more than welcome!

Thanks!

Scratch the acei and your good...they do better in a 6' tank

I was afraid they wouldnt go, and those are some of the ones i like the best.. So in the 4' 12-15 fish from the other species would be a good number? Also would if be ok if I added them all at once, or should I gradually add them so to reduce the bio load?

I would add all at once. As juvies they will have a smaller bio load. If you add the a few at a time you may have aggression issues.

Btw, I have 4 acei in my 4' tank and others do too and they do well. They do best in a 6' but I think a 4' is minimum acceptable IMO.

Good to know, I was hoping I could add them all at once... Have you had any aggression issues with your stock? Do you have any of the ones I plan on getting besides the Acei?

I have acei, red zebras, yellow labs, kenyis and mainganos. No issues. I had a male johanni before I got the mainganos but the johanni was a big bully and was getting worse by the day. So, I rehomed him and got the maingano.

Oh, and you know about cycling right?

I also have a red tailed shark, bristle nose Pleco and a feather fin catfish too.

Yea, I actully had a 29 gallon community tank that has been running for over a year. Ill be puting some gravel from that in my XP3 and ill put the filter on the 55 for a while to seed the tank. I'm hoping it should be good to go pretty quickly. I wanted to add a shark but wasnt sure if they would be ok in just a 55, sounds like they do just fine!

Yea, I actully had a 29 gallon community tank that has been running for over a year. Ill be puting some gravel from that in my XP3 and ill put the filter on the 55 for a while to seed the tank. I'm hoping it should be good to go pretty quickly. I wanted to add a shark but wasnt sure if they would be ok in just a 55, sounds like they do just fine!

If you want you could use SeaChem Stability as well to cover the bases. I had to do that when I had a Tank leak in my 30 gallon and needed to seed my 60 Gallon quick. It worked for me 7 days straight and after the water changes for the month. Using the old substrate and Filters. I know a Lot of people aren't sold on it but it worked for me as advertised.(y)

Thanks Pton46, I think ill stop and grab some tomorrow just to make sure it goes smoothly! I'm hoping the fact that the cichlids will be small when I get them and I'll be using colonized media it SHOULD be ok. :hide:

I'm currently cycling a 55g with Mbuna's. Everything is going smoothly so far :) I ordered 2 active filters from AngelsPlus and cut them up n stuffed them into both of my hob's :)

Pton46 said:
If you want you could use SeaChem Stability as well to cover the bases. I had to do that when I had a Tank leak in my 30 gallon and needed to seed my 60 Gallon quick. It worked for me 7 days straight and after the water changes for the month. Using the old substrate and Filters. I know a Lot of people aren't sold on it but it worked for me as advertised.(y)

Not many talk about stability on this forum. I actually just had a conversation today about it cause I have always used API stress coat/conditioner and Zyme. I finally decided to make the switch over with prime and some ferts.

kyle6367 said:
Hey all,
I'll be rinsing out my pfs tomorrow and finally arranging my slate... I wanted to run my list of future cichlids and see what you guys think of them. I was going to go with 3 or 4 species with a 1-3 M/F ratio.
Rusties
Yellow labs
Acei
Red zebra
Socolofi
One Male Johanni?

I plan of choosing 3 or 4 of those species for the tank, and ill be buying them when they are small(1-1.5"). Any advice on compatability or other interesting species is more than welcome!

Thanks!

I would not get the Johannii. I had one with my labs etc in a 55 and it tore them up.

Alright, I'll hold off on those for now and see how the others do together. Update on the tank status: PFS is all rinsed and added as well as some of the slate structures!:D Let me know what you think, and if I shoul make any changes!

Attachments

• 20120308_125722.jpg
    20120308_125722.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 99
Here is the tank finally filled! :D I stuck some of my community fish in there after about 4 hours of the filters running with the established BB. They look happy and more engergetic than before, almost feel bad re-housing them for the cichlids! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• full fish tank.jpg
    full fish tank.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 112
Scratch the acei and your good...they do better in a 6' tank

This is true about most fish. More space to move and hide almost always = happier fish. However, Acei's will do just fine in a 4' aquarium.

It also comes down to the mix of species. For example: unless you want hybrids keeping Zebras and Yellow labs is not a good idea.

Also consider aggression. Try to group fish with the same level of aggression or less aggressive fish may get bullied or killed.

Grouped by aggression:

Group1
Acei
Yellow Lab
Rusty's
Socolofi

Group2
Red zebra
Johanni

Keeping fish of the same genu may result in hybridization as well. If your okay with this than it's not a problem.

That's what I was thinking. Scolofi wouldn't go at all with the first group you mentioned? I was hoping to keep four species with one male to 3 female ratios. Any suggestions?? Also which acei would go better, white or yellow tail??

Back
Top Bottom