new canister filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

battenfield91

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I just bought the Pen-plax cascade 1000 which is good for up to 100 gallon tanks. I have a fully stocked lake malawi tank and the canister has floss, bio-foam, and carbon in it. My water is staying cloudy. Is there anything I can do to make it better?

I use to use purigen stuff in my filter but found fluid filter media made by easylife, it initally makes the water cloudy. It takes some time but eventually it'll get super clear. Another option is to find a finer filter pad. I also run 2 canister filters with 3 diffrent filter pads and a hob filter with only floss pads cramed in it.

As you can see my water is extreemly clear
ForumRunner_20130530_121853.jpg

That's awesome ill give that a shot.
Check out my tank and tell me what you think. Btw, your tank is awesome

ForumRunner_20130530_142922.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_142912.jpg

ForumRunner_20130530_142847.jpg

Have u put any bacterica supplement in it my tank was that way with my cichlids but that in fixed it

I haven't. Ill go get some from my LFS. I have one 75 gallon HOB filter. That might help huh?

Also, could you take a look at those photos and tell me if I have too much in the tank.
The reason I put it in there was for the baby cichlids and plecos that bred in my tank. But if it causes stress, I need to get rid of the deco

I dont think u have to much in the manybe to many bottom feeders. The decorations are ok. But it kind of matters if u have zedras in there but I dont really see any? But I took mine out cause I hated the fake look in my tank

I have
-3 Cory cats
-1 albino channel cat
-1 albino bushynose and 1 bushynose ( just bred and I have 45 Pleco fry... in a seperate tank)
-2 common plecos
-1 clown loach

My cichlids are also breeding like crazy. I have 5 peacock fry that are growing fast

I want them.
So cichlids eat them?
Also do they grow in Argonite substrates?

Cichlids can be plant eaters or plant diggers. They generally leave "water onion" alone. It grows like italian Vals, but must taste pretty awful because fish usually don't eat it. You can also supplement their diet with pieces of red bell pepper (not HOT bell pepper). They generally like it and it helps with their color.

I piont angrily at my firemouth when he decided to uproot a plant. Not very often but dose give me the chance to move some plants around my tank.

I have another question.
Apparently my
-Tetra - Tetra Cichlid floating pellets and
- wardley shrimp pellets
- tetra algae wafers
All of that seems to keep them healthy but is there a better food?
I just want to keep their health tip top

I have another question.
Apparently my
-Tetra - Tetra Cichlid floating pellets and
- wardley shrimp pellets
- tetra algae wafers
All of that seems to keep them healthy but is there a better food?
I just want to keep their health tip top

New Life Spectrum. Best food in the market. Compare their ingredient list to your food and you'll be sold

I also suggest fresh frozen foods like brine shrimp, blood worms and beef heart. I had jack dempsys once and they were HUGE and healthy.A varied diet is the spice of life "if you know what I mean."

Back
Top Bottom