New Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaggey

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gallon newly cycled aquarium (had goldfish in it but i changed and cleaned everything) live plants, rock, driftwood and sand. It has a regular aqua clear 70 filter. I would love to set it up as a cichlid tank.

Few questions:

1. Is that filter sufficient?
2. Can I start It as a cichlid tank?
3. If so, recommended stocking?
4. What pace would you add them?

I just set one up as well. The only thing I know is that I changed my substrate to a crushed coral that is better for Cichlids and removed my live plants as i have read they tend to uproot plants. I would look at doing a canister filter as well. Maybe add a Fluval 305. Once cycled I would say you can 5-6 and then wait for a 3-4 weeks before adding anymore. These are just suggestions that I have learned from reading posts on here. Plenty of help on this board!!

jmartin71 said:
I just set one up as well. The only thing I know is that I changed my substrate to a crushed coral that is better for Cichlids and removed my live plants as i have read they tend to uproot plants. I would look at doing a canister filter as well. Maybe add a Fluval 305. Once cycled I would say you can 5-6 and then wait for a 3-4 weeks before adding anymore. These are just suggestions that I have learned from reading posts on here. Plenty of help on this board!!

Crushed coral is better for old world not new world Cichlids. That's why I asked what kind before I answered the questions

I don't want to get rid of the sand, what would work in that?

Yaggey said:
I don't want to get rid of the sand, what would work in that?

It depends on what type of Cichlids your going to do. If your going to do Africans then you can mix coral in the sand, put it in your filter or float a bag to buffer the aquariums ph. At less you have hard water coming from your tap then it wouldn't be needed.

What about a 35 gallon tank with gravel? Would that be ok for African cichlids or to small?

Yaggey said:
What about a 35 gallon tank with gravel? Would that be ok for African cichlids or to small?

To small its recommended to have a 55. But the 50 may work. How long is your 50 gallon?

Last edited:
Looks great

Does it need to be that heavily stocked with rocks. I probably have a 3rd of that as of right now

Back
Top Bottom