New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

By_mo5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have had a new tank up and running for about a day now. I upgraded from my old smaller tank. I transferred majority of the gravel, and the filter media. I have had an air stone in it from the beginning. I am setting it up for cichlids. Should I do water changes during setup or not? I have tested water and have the results at home.
Thanks

Hi

I have had a new tank up and running for about a day now. I upgraded from my old smaller tank. I transferred majority of the gravel, and the filter media. I have had an air stone in it from the beginning. I am setting it up for cichlids. Should I do water changes during setup or not? I have tested water and have the results at home.
Thanks

Let the tank run for a little bit and keep testing your parameters. You don't wanna add anything IMO. Let the old media seed the new media.

What size tank and what type of filtration?

IMO?

It's a fluval Roma 240 tank with a fluval 305 filter. I don't have any carbon in the filter as I have heard more bad than good.
Thanks.

In my opinion. IMO. Carbon is good for taking medication or chemicals out of the water but has to be changed regularly. I dont leave it in my filter very long if and when i use it.

Ohhhhh ok lol. So do you suggest I add it to begin with? Is now a good time to add decor such as bog wood, plants, rocks etc?

If its a new tank or filter its advised to run carbon for abit. Adding rock and decor... I dont see why not? Roma 240 hey im just setting up a juwel rio 240 for cichlids funnily enough. What cichs are you wanting to keep?

Ok sweet :). Really? I'm hoping to keep geophagus', firemouths, rams and others. Although I haven't fully decided yet. Yourself?

Africans. Peacocks and afew of the Smaller haps. Im doing a tank diary thread on it. step by step.

Sounds like a plan an a good read? Is there a way you can follow people on here, so I can keep up-to-date with your diary?

An easy way would be to go to the freshwater:cichlid discussions and its on the first page. Threads called 'calling all peacock owners' weather or not itll be a good read i dont know!

Back
Top Bottom