New to cichlids… Few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can go either way. I really like the socolofi. So I have two ideas:

2m/8f pseudotropheus socolofi
1m/4f labidochromis caeruleus
Synodontis Eupterus? Platyodras Armatulus?
-or-
All kenyi tank
Same possible cats above

I have a 55g Malawi tank, I'm just running a standard 50 gallon filter. African cichlids, despite what you may hear are actually quite low maintenance don't be too concerned with chemical balance. I would recommend a pleco (they're the only algae eater armored enough to stay alive) to keep your tank clean. Cichlids like to dig so fine sand might be a good idea. As for types/numbers I would recommend over crowding to prevent targeted bullying (African cichlids won't refrain from breeding or stop growing do to over crowding). Female Kenyis, yellow labs, cobalt blue zebras, red zebras, auratus(male or female) and Acei are some good types. Make sure to get at most one male per 3 females. To keep cichlids healthy and active create as many rock coves and caves as you can. Don't be too particular on the decorative arrangement because the fish will dig and move things around.

Auratus, kenyi and acei are not good ideas in a 55 for very long. And over filtration is most definitely needed.

How long had your mbuna tank been running with that filter and what's your water parameters?

To the OP I'd maybe do 7 labs and 7 socolofi as you'll inevitably likely need to rehome if you end up w too many males. And the trouble with those two types is both sexes look nearly the same. Both great fish though! And you could add a syno if you like although I feel Africans do not require a clean up crew. Mine dig for food anyway and barely let any get half way to the bottom.

I just like the looks of the cats. I can target feed 'em. Would the kenyis work? I think the colors would look fabulous. If not I still like the labs and socolofi. How long would it take after getting them as juvies to find out what sex they are? How would I go about that?

I think I'll go with yellow labs and the socolofi. Oh, and a synodontis eupterus. Opinions?

That's two nice mbuna types to mix together. I think you'll be happier than if u went kenyi. The cat is cool. They grow fast and get big. My dad got one last yr under 2 inch and he's already over 6. I personally don't like him. He only hides and takes up space. Petricola may be a better fit but that's just my suggestion. I also had good luck with a couple yoyo loaches in the past w mbuna. Some frown on it though. They're much more active and are constantly sifting through sand. Check em out. If you get all fish small you should be ok. I had a clown loach that nobody bothered either but they get big although grow slow. He was w mbuna for a year till I moved him just because I wanted to into my dads community tank. Bristle nose plecos work also. So many options! Good luck!

Will u be using sand substrate? Also good over filtration? Where do I plan to get the fish?

Thanks for the detailed post! I will be using pool filter sand. I'm shooting for 2 penguin 400s, and a sponge filter rated for 80 gallons w/ airpump rated for 60 gallons. I will be getting my fish from my lfs. As bad as that sounds, it's a non-chain store, my grandfather has known him for 15 years and he's been in business for 20.

Thanks for the detailed post! I will be using pool filter sand. I'm shooting for 2 penguin 400s, and a sponge filter rated for 80 gallons w/ airpump rated for 60 gallons. I will be getting my fish from my lfs. As bad as that sounds, it's a non-chain store, my grandfather has known him for 15 years and he's been in business for 20.

My pleasure. Nice to have a good local shop that sells u what u intend to buy! Does he have them in stock or will he order for you?

I love labs and they will flourish w less aggressive species. Never had the blue socolofi but I had the albino snow whites an l loved them!

Nice. I THINK I have a year old 400 I'm not using that's gathering dust. I'm willing to send it free of charge to help a new guy out. You'd just need to order the 2 bio wheels if your interested? I need to verify I still have it.

Back
Top Bottom