New to site- Cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dolphinmist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this site and new to cichlids, We have seven cichlids and ever since we put them in the aquarium we notice that they will scrape on the sand and other decorations off and on is this normal behavior

It's also normal for cichlids to do that as well, but as the previous poster said, check for white spots. Whats the water parameters? What kind of filters? Are you using a liquid test kit?

Liquid test kit that tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph. The ph is 8.0, water temp is 82, ammonia is 0.5, we have treated the water with fungus eliminator because we had a acei that got attacked and his scales started peeling off and he died last night. One of the parrots has a white spot on his tail so we added more aquarium salt and raised the temp to 84 degrees just to try and prevent getting ick. I don't know if I am doing it right

A PH that high with .5 ppm of ammonia is very toxic, on top of that with the temperature being raised there chances are there is less oxygen in the water. I suggest doing a 75% water change and add an airstone or two if you're going to continue treating for ich.

We have two air stones in the tank, we just raised the temp today. we used fungus eliminator to treat a fish that got injured, going to try and do a water change tomorrow. I have had a lot of replies to the effect that my tank is too small, but none of my fish are over two inches, and we already have a 55g just not set up yet.

Okay so everything that I have read says that cichlids like ph between 7.8 and 8.4, what is the real ph supposed to be:thanks:

The biggest concern is the ammonia, the higher the PH the more toxic the ammonia becomes. This is likely the source of your issues. I would do a large water change ASAP. You're fish are likely suffering from ammonia poisoning and the medications you are using are likely to be ineffective.

Back
Top Bottom