opps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nathanden

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I got excited and put drift wood in after cleaning now my water is all brown I know won't hurt anything but well it go away

It will after enough water changes. I made the same mistake once. It takes awhile, but eventually it will be back to normal. The only issue is that the tannins can lower ph.

So I got excited and put drift wood in after cleaning now my water is all brown I know won't hurt anything but well it go away

Take some tank water out & the driftwood & soak the wood in a new container or new bucket with tank water. Change the water out that the wood is in until it's clear, then put the wood back in the tank. I suggest you buy a bottle of pH Up & keep a close eye on the pH when the wood is in the tank. :):fish2:

Don't use pH up. It will cause the pH to fluctuate which can hurt fish and stall the cycle. As said, soak it in bucket to release most if the tannins before adding it to the tank.

The tannins will eventually go away. I know a few people who use carbon in the filter to help absorb them.

Ok thanks every one ill watch the 0h as of yesterday it was good

Also I've done a lot of research on ph up

Its only baking soda

Its only baking soda

The problem is it will fluctuate and you'll have to monitor it non stop. If you need to bring it up there are better ways of doing so. It normally takes a good amount of tannins to lower the ph. I have my money on you not needing to really use anything.

Last edited:

Its only baking soda

Yes and baking soda is a great ph buffer. The point was that trying to buffer your PH will cause some fluctuation. A stable ph is more important than the PH value or most captive bred aquarium fish. Plus IMO one small piece of wood will no produce enough tannis to drop your PH to significantly. Just keep an eye on your water parameters and treat accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom