Oscar and Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that for the most part these two do not mix, but if I were to have them in a 220g tank could it be feasible? I love my Africans, but would like to add a large fish to the mix. I saw a beautiful long finned tiger oscar today at my lfs. Any input is welcomed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I personally wouldn't do it, especially not if the oscar is long-finned. On water quality alone- their requirements are too different.

I have not had fw fish in a long time, but I came to the hard realization that saltwater is not a good option at the current time. I never have had an Oscar but I've kept Africans for years

Oscars and Africans are a big no no. Africans are big bruisers and will pick on the oscar a lot.

Are there any other options for a large fish? Kinda like a centerpiece? Another African that gets to be a good size?

Are there any other options for a large fish? Kinda like a centerpiece? Another African that gets to be a good size?

I can't really think of anything that will work well as a centerpiece for africans that won't also murder all his tank mates. At 5 - 10 inches on average each, africans aren't really small fish.

There are many hap species that work nicely as center pieces, but typically aren't the best tank mates for Mbuna, as they tend to be a bit calmer and less territorial than mbuna

Mbuna and tilapia buttikoferi are large growing africans . Buttikoferi become killers when they mature but they have been cases in which people have kept buttikoferi that were mellow

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Psuedotropheus crabro, 8 inch adult size, a Malawi mbuna, should fit nicely.

That just might be what I was looking for. Online said three females for every male. Could I get away with two males and eight females or three males and seven females? Like to keep groups of tens.

That just might be what I was looking for. Online said three females for every male. Could I get away with two males and eight females or three males and seven females? Like to keep groups of tens.

Multiple males of the same type will very likely beat the crap out of each other. I personally wouldn't recommend more than 1 male per species.

Multiple males of the same type will very likely beat the crap out of each other. I personally wouldn't recommend more than 1 male per species.

So one male and 9 females would be ideal?

1 male 3 females would be fine but they are difficult to sex.

Nvm, I get your point now, if they can be sexed (vented) then 1 male should be fine with extra females. Given the nature of these fish I think two males could coexist as long as 8 females were present. That gives you your 10 count.

No worries. What would be the best ratio for a group of ten bumblebee cichlids?

You might try a frontosa I have one in with my Africans. They r slow growers though

Frontosa are from lake tanganyika and are peaceful, they shouldn't be stocked with mbuna.

Sort of peaceful, Fronts are predatory and I have seen plenty of pics and videos of them trying to eat large fish. Saw one try to choke down a 6" altolamprologus compressiceps in one video. Not to mention no matter how slow they grow, adults still need to be in groups, which will require a tank of at least 180 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom