Oscar and Africans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frontosa are from lake tanganyika and are peaceful, they shouldn't be stocked with mbuna.

Sort of peaceful, Fronts are predatory and I have seen plenty of pics and videos of them trying to eat large fish. Saw one try to choke down a 6" altolamprologus compressiceps in one video. Not to mention no matter how slow they grow, adults still need to be in groups, which will require a tank of at least 180 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Come on freakgecko give me some credit, I'm learning lol.

Do a you tube search for large frontosa eating. I wont post it here because I think its against the rules

Do a you tube search for large frontosa eating. I wont post it here because I think its against the rules

Yeah I have no hands on experience with these guys. I do know they don't belong with mbuna. Most articles online claim them to be peaceful but I see the potential for them to be like Jaws. Gorgeous fish though.

So far hubby's frontosa has been with the other cichlids for months and all is well. He has tried to put a Pleco ( hand sized and a syndo) in it with no luck though

Ive seen a video of someone who had 2 full grown albino oscars in a big tank. I don't know any specifics except that tank was at least a 200+ gallon and had a lot of rockwork... But the huge oscars swimming along at the top with the colorful africans down below was amazing!!!

Sent from a cave in the eastward side o a sand dune.

Are there any other options for a large fish? Kinda like a centerpiece? Another African that gets to be a good size?

Livingston's cichlids and venustus cichlids both grow to 10 inches if given the space and can usually hold their own with mbuna. They will eat smaller fish but once the grow to 3-4 inches they are usually fine

Back
Top Bottom