Oscar... What color is he???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostriderphoto

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased a plain Oscar baby that had been in the pet store tank for awhile. Nobody wanted him. He has a great personality, but is very plain in coloration. I have been looking at pics on the Internet trying to find out what coloration term would fit for him, but am at a loss. Does anyone know what kind of Oscar he is?

Attachments

• image-1234803297.jpg
    image-1234803297.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 146
  • image-4241544292.jpg
    image-4241544292.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 144
  • image-1444707406.jpg
    image-1444707406.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 148
spoonman said:
I personally dont think it is an oscar. The face is too pointed.

Now I must wonder what kind of fish and color he is!!! All help on identity is appreciated... He behaves like an Oscar with his fearless character and constant begging for food. Could he have strong genes from a wild strain?

Here is a pic of my oscar.

img_1883636_0_6cb6163b1b2ba6e84602401b6f46a246.jpg

img_1883636_1_786ea745e3829eaf66e09891389a2aa1.jpg

Can't really make out the color. However it looks like an every day common Oscar. Haven't seen one of them in 15 years. Usually they are found in Tiger, red or albino, tiger albino.There are some rare colors, but most are dyed and the others are disputed as to if they are dyed or not.

I was thinking the face looked to narrow as well.

Not an Oscar possibly. How do I find out what kind of fish he is? I'm lost here. I see what you mean by not having the traditional rounded face... Oh boy. I need to find out what he is... I am feeding him an Oscar diet which is probably fine, but he may prefer different tank mates and reach a different size, etc.

Sometimes his fins are almost black and his body darkens more as well. Other times, like when feeding, his fins go translucent and his body turns light beige.

That is 100% a juvenile Oscar I'm absolutely sure of it. As for the coloration I Havnt seen one like that before. Oscar can change colours as they mature.

I haven't noticed any stripes or consistent markings on him at all. Are there mature Oscars that don't have markings? He turns a beautiful golden beige with translucent fins when he feeds... Love that color. Do you have Oscars?

Ghostriderphoto said:
I haven't noticed any stripes or consistent markings on him at all. Are there mature Oscars that don't have markings? He turns a beautiful golden beige with translucent fins when he feeds... Love that color. Do you have Oscars?

I have kept oscars in the past. Only reason I don't have one now is I don't have the space. If you have red oscars they are very plain also with no patterns just the one colour similar to yours. You have got yourself a nice fish there. I love oscars they are so interactive

Apparently he is a juvenile Gold Oscar. I emailed a cichlids breeder and asked what he was and that is what I was told. The breeder is Jeff Rapps in NJ.

What is a Gold Oscar? I never heard of them before...

Ghostriderphoto said:
I purchased a plain Oscar baby that had been in the pet store tank for awhile. Nobody wanted him. He has a great personality, but is very plain in coloration. I have been looking at pics on the Internet trying to find out what coloration term would fit for him, but am at a loss. Does anyone know what kind of Oscar he is?

He is so cute! In the middle pic I can totally hear him say "peek-a-boo!"
Have you a name for him?

smomus said:
He is so cute! In the middle pic I can totally hear him say "peek-a-boo!"
Have you a name for him?

Actually, I am having a hard time naming him. What do you name a gold oscar? I bought him to keep my sons gold fish company until I can re-home the gold fish. Ironic.... Unknowingly bought a gold Oscar to keep a gold fish company. Lol. He has a great personality... I enjoy watching him!

Ghostriderphoto said:
Actually, I am having a hard time naming him. What do you name a gold oscar? I bought him to keep my sons gold fish company until I can re-home the gold fish. Ironic.... Unknowingly bought a gold Oscar to keep a gold fish company. Lol. He has a great personality... I enjoy watching him!

Ooh we aren't original with names around here lol. My angelfish's name is Angel. And my Buenos Aires tetra's name is....wait for it...!
Tetra! Haha
But anyway what about Goldie? Or GQ? cuz he is so handsome! Or you mentioned he wasn't necessarily wanted by others at the store. So how about Runt? Even tho i'm sure he will not be a runt...he kinda was unwanted like a runt.

Never heard of a gold O. I have a tiger and yours looks like an Oscar to me. Very pretty fish you have there. It seems Oscars have tons if personality.

OscarFan76 said:
Never heard of a gold O. I have a tiger and yours looks like an Oscar to me. Very pretty fish you have there. It seems Oscars have tons if personality.

I had never heard of a Gold Oscar either and can't find much info on them. Anyone else have one?

Here are a couple more pics of him...

Attachments

• image-1924743665.jpg
    image-1924743665.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3578476890.jpg
    image-3578476890.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 106
Do Oscars change color as they mature? I really like his lighter coloration, but have noticed how sometimes he is darker. Do they change color with their mood? Is there any way to visually tell if an Oscar is a male or female?

Here are some pics showing his different colorations. Is this typical?

Attachments

• image-1194758548.jpg
    image-1194758548.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-711533161.jpg
    image-711533161.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 91
  • image-517600181.jpg
    image-517600181.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 88
Back
Top Bottom