oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can you keep more than 2 oscars in a tank? PS. Theres a pacu in my animal science class thats so big we feed it dead mice.

Um... interesting sidenote there.

Yeah, you can keep more than two oscars in a tank provided you have the space. The BARE minimum for one oscar should be 55 gallons, for swimming space and water quality. You should have a BARE minimum of 25 gallons extra for each additional oscar. Other people may tell you that you need more than what I listed. They're probably right.

I think my oscar ate my pleco... And I wouldn't do two in a 63. However, it's your decision, and who knows? With really good maintenance it might work. I'm not an expert, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to get someone with experience to agree with that idea.

my sisters tanning salon had 4 oscars in a 75 gal

and she had 2 plecos and the plecos were never eaten

Any thing small enough to fit in their mouth is fair game. I have a 7 in. pleco with a 6 in. oscar with no conflict. You could probably keep 2 in that tank if you over filter and change water often. :D

If you can go to an independant pet store where people drop off plecos and other fish that they don't want anymore, I would suggest getting a pleco that outgrew someones tank. As long as he is bigger than your Oscar, I don't see a problem.
As for the two Oscar thing...I don't recommend it. I have had a lot of experience with Oscars and found that having one happy, healthy Oscar is much better than having two that "get along for the most part"

In a 100gal tank i think that you could succesfully house 2 Oscars and A Pleco, A large 8 inch pleco will most likely not be eaten if you have the follwoing retreat-A pecie of PVC Pipe Large enough for the pleco to hide completly but not for the Oscar to come in, the pleco will learn that he can go in their and hide when being harrased by the Oscra, most of the time this works. I will warn you sometimes it dosent.

JMHO

Yeah it's ok to have more than one Oscar in your tank,There better off in groups anyway. but if you want more than 1 you gotta have a spaced tank.

ok guys, im really confused, you guys say 1 oscar, and everyone else says you can get 2 at the max in a 55 gal this is really wierd i know it should be 1 because they will barely have enough room to turn around in a 55 gal, its really odd thoi wonder where they get their logic

Just goes to show ya that everyone has a different opinion.
1 oscar can be done in a 55 but a 75 is MUCH better.
2 in a 90....so on and so on...

i've also heard that oscars are famous for attacking your heater, so if you have a glass one , look into getting a cover for it

Back
Top Bottom