pH dipped a little after WC.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have crushed coral. I know a lot have used it. I have bio bags. Can I just put some crushed coral in the bio bag and place it in one of my filters? pH was about 7.2. Prior it's always been a strong 7.6 a nice dark blue which was fine cause it's been stable for so long. Maybe the water change threw it off a little.

Also re tested 4 hours after water change.

For those who don't know. Overstocked 75 gallon African Cichlid tank.

Anyone? lol.

I put a bio bag with a little crushed coral in my filter to see of it brings it up a little.

Maybe the water change dropped it a little? I did more then I normally do due to lack of watching. I did probably a 75% instead of my normal 25-10%.

Thanks

Has the PH level come back? did you test immediately after your change? your tap water could have a PH of 7.0 and all your rockwork & sand etc would be the buffer to get it up to the 7.6 you're used to. for that purpose I don't test my ph until a few hours after a change

oh forgot. yes you can use crushed coral in a filter sock, but it's really only a temp fix unless you plan on keeping that in there permanently

Tested about 4 hours after and it was about 7.2. Gonna test again in a little while. Just put a little crushed coral in a bio bag and dropped it in my filter.

Gonna test tap water also.

Convict2161 said:
Tested about 4 hours after and it was about 7.2. Gonna test again in a little while. Just put a little crushed coral in a bio bag and dropped it in my filter.

Gonna test tap water also.

You might wanna try the cichlid salt it brings the ph to 8.8 on mine and maintains it vary well

I have some coral in my sump it keep it 8.2 all the time. 7.2 is a little low. You know already because you said it before. That stablility is the key

I'll let you know later. I'm in a meeting for elections for fire chief.

Last edited:
got-to-love-Chiclids said:
Vary NICE HOPE YOU GET TO BECOME FIRE CHIEF!

Thanks!! I'm fire chief for another 2 years!! And the salt worked a little. I dosed it per instructions and it brought it to a dark deep blue 7.6

Convict2161 said:
Thanks!! I'm fire chief for another 2 years!! And the salt worked a little. I dosed it per instructions and it brought it to a dark deep blue 7.6

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Mr. Fire chief! Send me a calender ;) lol

So, chilid salt. Will it hurt my reef set-up? I don't know anything about it. I'm going to check it out.

Cox82 said:
Congratulations Mr. Fire chief! Send me a calender ;) lol

So, chilid salt. Will it hurt my reef set-up? I don't know anything about it. I'm going to check it out.

Thanks!! How did you know I'm in a calendar? lol. I can't answer your question about the reef set up sorry.

Don't use cichlid salt for a reef setup, I highly doubt it contains the same trace elements that are in marine salt. the lakes in africa aren't close enough to sea water to warrant the use of that salt in a reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom