Pleco vs parrot?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid.Keeper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

For the past few days I have seen my pleco swimming after my parrot fish and sucking on to him. I have never seen any of my plecos do this. But this pleco doesn't only do that, he swims around in a shark like manner around the entire tank. I don't know how to stop the sucking but I do see the parrot has an open wound on his nose. Please give me any advice you know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would rehome the pleco he has developed a taste for the slime coat of other fish is it a common pleco

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like Vance said Rehoming is probably the only option

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll betcha a dollar your pleco is a Chinese algae eater and yes.. get it outta there..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rehome the Parrot

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some on here aren't too fond of hybrids.

Some on here aren't too fond of hybrids.

Take it up with those who create.. i don't care for them myself. Feel bad for parrots though. Like the gentle giant that can't fend for itself.

Why the pleco?

If you read my post? I don't think it's a pleco, if it is? Ain't right in the head and should go anyways.. now answer my question.

Why the pleco?

Weather its a pleco or a cae it dont matter why keep the fish thats causing issues imo that would be a waste of a tank just keeping that one lone fish without being able to keep others so to get back on topic. OP i suggest 2 things, first thing a picture of the attacker, 2 find a new home.

Weather its a pleco or a cae it dont matter why keep the fish thats causing issues imo that would be a waste of a tank just keeping that one lone fish without being able to keep others so to get back on topic. OP i suggest 2 things, first thing a picture of the attacker, 2 find a new home.

I agree with this, quite a lot actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you read my post? I don't think it's a pleco, if it is? Ain't right in the head and should go anyways.. now answer my question.

Because it's a Parrot.....

Because it's a Parrot.....

You don't say... I'll bet the op really appreciates all this invaluable Advice you're offering up. I don't know what this forum would do without Advice such as this.

I'd personally get rid of the Parrot and get something that can defend itself properly or at least swim away when needed

I'd personally get rid of the Parrot and get something that can defend itself properly or at least swim away when needed

Swim away to where exactly theyre in a tank there isnt to many fish that can fight back against another fish that has suctioned itself to the fish and is stripping the slime coat off. i suggest you back out of this thread and be on your merry way

Swim away to where exactly theyre in a tank there isnt to many fish that can fight back against another fish that has suctioned itself to the fish and is stripping the slime coat off. i suggest you back out of this thread and be on your merry way

Haha, dont take it so personal buddy.... I'll put 50 plecos and/or algae eaters in my 125g with my male jaguar cichlid and bet nothing like that ever comes close to happening. I know certain fish are known to do this but its definitely far from common. An alert/healthy cichlid should not allow any pleco or algae eater to attach itself in the 1st place like the OP is saying

So essentially you're saying is get a highly aggressive fish that will fight the pleco, and end up with one killing the other? The problem here is the pleco, not the rainbow. Remove the pleco and the problem is solved, not delayed until one is severely beat up or dead.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom