Powerhead in Cichlid tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawbreaker1222

Aquarium Advice Regular
New to Cichlids

I have 2 Electric Yellows and what i beleave are 2 golden mbunas
I have a Powerhead i got in a random lot i picked up of craigslist. Would the chichlids benifit from this or would it be a bad idea?

Its a 26 gallon Flat back tank
36x12x18

I know they will outgrow that tank Im working on setting up a 150 right now its just a starter for them.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 290
Flow is a good thing IMO. It's only too much flow if the fish are uncomfortable. ;)

EDIT: I just read your sig. Even a 150 will eventually be lacking.

a 150 is to small for the 4 cichlids? Or for all my fish? The fish in my sig are going into their own larger tank. How do i know if the cichlids are uncomfortable with the powerhead. What is their normal behavior verses a stressed behavior. Im new with them so i dont know what normal is.

most yellow labs will have more visible lines on them when theyre stressed. i have no powerheads on my tank (150g) but i have a spray bar up top which helps alot in surface agitation. You definately need more fish though. You need to have at minimun a 1m2fm ratio... 1m5fm is better. But of course, you dont have room for them yet.

So what do you recommend for a tank size for those two species of fish and total of each i should get. The 150 is filling with water now so will be ready very soon. And as their only 2 inches long I'm sure the 150 will be ok for now. But at full growth what will i need?
Back to original? They seem like they are enjoying the power-head they come out and swim against the current. I assume they would go hide in their rocks if they weren't enjoying it?? Is a 250gph power-head to much for a 26 gallon tank? Because that's what i put in their.

lol

Flow is a good thing IMO. It's only too much flow if the fish are uncomfortable. ;)

EDIT: I just read your sig. Even a 150 will eventually be lacking.
4 fish in a 150 gal lacking? ha this post by you hn1 is vintage.sometimes i wonder if you think the only thing big enough is the lake they come from

a 150g will be plenty big for those fish. Just make sure you get more. For mbuna, just make sure that you have a good m-f ratio or you will have lots of dead fish.

a 150g will be plenty big for those fish. Just make sure you get more. For mbuna, just make sure that you have a good m-f ratio or you will have lots of dead fish.
how can you tell the difference? i was given two bumblebees and they look slightly different

my male bumblebee is almost black alot of times... venting is the only sure fire method except for a select few who are completely colored differently. kenyi and auratus are pretty easy to sex. male kenyi are orange-yellow, females are blue. Male auratus are black, females are yellow

my male bumblebee is almost black alot of times... venting is the only sure fire method except for a select few who are completely colored differently. kenyi and auratus are pretty easy to sex. male kenyi are orange-yellow, females are blue. Male auratus are black, females are yellow
well then i think i have a male and female because one is clearly darker and it has the spots on the anal fin and the other doesnt .might be another dumb question but venting?

4 fish in a 150 gal lacking? ha this post by you hn1 is vintage.sometimes i wonder if you think the only thing big enough is the lake they come from

I actually stock our tanks quite heavily, no lake needed if you know what you're doing and believe in overkill filtration. I did misread a bit, but...

Attachments

• nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    nickv_pleco_072806.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 112
I want to make a copy of that photo and take it with me to pet stores. So when I here someone say they want one of those I can show them what it'll turn into someday.

not all plecos turn into that, their are many kinds that only grow to 4-6 inches all you have to do is your homework before buying one

not all plecos turn into that, their are many kinds that only grow to 4-6 inches all you have to do is your homework before buying one

Yep. True enough, but just about anyone who has done their research and knows that would likely put a descriptor in their signature. i.e. bristlenose, zebra, L048, etc. 90%+ of the plecos sold annually would turn into that (if they lived long enough).

Yep, when i hear pleco, i immediately assume common. normally people refer to bristlenose or rubberlipped as bristlenose or rubberlipped... just like goldfish... i immediately assume common unless otherwise noted. As for venting, google it. Its hard to explain.

So how bout them powerhead questions? And Fish Behavior questions? Can i thread jack my own thread back?

Back
Top Bottom