Ram Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeMomma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If this is in the wrong forum, I apologize and it would be great if you could move it.

I was at the store today and saw beautiful blue rams swimming around in the planted tank. I really would like to get some, but of course only if they are suitable.

I plan to have a well-planted 29 gallon set up during the summer, but for now, I have an empty 10 gallon with a few minor plants. Would I be able to put a pair of them in there? Will they grow to be too big, or fight?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

If you have a low pH, and are good with water changes, then a pair would be fine in a 10g.

Rams do best in soft water with a lower pH. Rams stay small 2-3" and can get aggressive when breeding and raising young.

As said, Rams like clean water and require WC's a little more often, as well as, stable water para's. Rams also like plants for cover, the more the better (they also feed off the plants).

I have a pair of German Blues that are great. I was a little reluctant to get them at first, after researching them. Figured they might be a little to fragile.

Well, am I ever glad I got them. They are so nice to watch. Mine are curious little fellas. They check out the gravel vac, my hand when prunning plants, anything that goes into the tank. Since they only grow 2"-3", they are a great community fish, compared to most in the chilid family. Mine seam to get a little aggressive around breeding time. You should see these little fella's defend a nest (they don't hurt any tank mates, simply guard the nest). It's fasinating to watch actually.

If the Rams your looking at in your lfs are juvies, they will take on some really nice colors once they start to mature and settle into comfortable surroundings.

Back
Top Bottom